• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'92 ford L9000 shuts down for no reason

Im new here. Driveing down the freeway and my truck, not over temp or out of fuel, shuts down and i have to pull over. After I stop and wait a minute, I turn the key off and back on. It fires up and i go back to work. Only happens every cupple of trips. we only run about 50 miles at a time. I have been all over the truck trying to find the problem. Every wire on the truck is tight without corrosion. I changed the ignition a year ago thinking that was the problem. And both fuel filters today. Problem still exist. Any ideas?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Steveneedshelp!:drinkup

Doe it have a Cummins engine?

Last edited:

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Install fuel pressure gauge most likely fuel shut solenoid acting up. Have had fuel hoses deteriorate and plug the cooler plate behind ecm. Let us know if it loses fuel pressure just before and during complaint.

rossaroni

My L9000 does it. Its the kaiser system for the L10 cummins shutting down the fuel solenoid. The dealers tell me its a low coolant level sensor is bad. Ive swapped out four of them, roughly $100 each, and it hasnt improved it. They suggested replacing the wiring harness.
Me, being the stubborn dutchman that I am, figures that if its running cool, has oil pressure, and is being fed fuel, everything should be fine... so here's how I fixed her up for me:
pulled power from the lug on the starter, ran it to a fuse, then to a toggle on the dash. From the toggle, I backfed the power to the fuel cutoff solenoid.
Whenever the kaiser starts dinging at me, I flip the switch to override the computer cutting out the fuel. I wouldn't put any Joe out in the truck, because if it actually would have a problem, the kaiser is essentially gone. But as an owner operator, I keep an eye on the gauges, and have been very happy with my $12 fix

grandpa

There should be a knurled nob on the fuel shutoff ,, turn it all the way clockwise. This holds the fuel open. It will work properly except you will not be able to shut it off with the switch. Try it that way and if your problem goes away its in the fuel shutoff or the wires that energize it.

Fuel shut off seems to work I think

Maybe your fuel shut off is taking a dump

I took it off the truck and removed the top. I hooked it up to the truck battery and the maginet grabbed the screw driver. I checked the voltage going to the switch. 12.5. but it only has power for about 10 seconds.

My L9000 does it. Its the kaiser system for the L10 cummins shutting down the fuel solenoid. The dealers tell me its a low coolant level sensor is bad. Ive swapped out four of them, roughly $100 each, and it hasnt improved it. They suggested replacing the wiring harness.
Me, being the stubborn dutchman that I am, figures that if its running cool, has oil pressure, and is being fed fuel, everything should be fine... so here's how I fixed her up for me:
pulled power from the lug on the starter, ran it to a fuse, then to a toggle on the dash. From the toggle, I backfed the power to the fuel cutoff solenoid.
Whenever the kaiser starts dinging at me, I flip the switch to override the computer cutting out the fuel. I wouldn't put any Joe out in the truck, because if it actually would have a problem, the kaiser is essentially gone. But as an owner operator, I keep an eye on the gauges, and have been very happy with my $12 fix

I tried that too. Im a owner opperater too. Ive toggled meny things. This 1 has me baffeled.+

There should be a knurled nob on the fuel shutoff ,, turn it all the way clockwise. This holds the fuel open. It will work properly except you will not be able to shut it off with the switch. Try it that way and if your problem goes away its in the fuel shutoff or the wires that energize it.

I tried that too. I get fuel up to the shutoff but not after. There was a small breass and steel filter under a flathead bolt next to the shut off. that was clogged. I cleaned it and now i can blow through it. Before I couldnt. I took the shutoff off the truck to see if it pumps fuel through it. It barly drains out. Is that normal?

I took it off the truck and removed the top. I hooked it up to the truck battery and the maginet grabbed the screw driver. I checked the voltage going to the switch. 12.5. but it only has power for about 10 seconds.