• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

90 psi on your air tools?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I was waiting on the compressor to almost shut down trying to get max pressure to get a lug nut off of a Advance mixer when I thought who, if anyone runs the recommended pressure. I know all my pressure switches have been tampered with to hit 180 psi at least.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I usually cut my impacts off at around 110, If that won't break it loose, I pull out the 3/4" breaker bar and cheater pipe. Everything else I try and run the recommended pressure or a little over.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I was told at the school I attended, higher pressure makes the impacts hit harder. I suppose there is some diminishing return point but they were about 130 psi IIRC. They said it makes air rachets wear faster because the little tang doesn't always have time to reengage properly. When I had a shop I ran 140 psi regulated, lug nuts always came right off. The compressor was a standard 2 stage unit that cycled 145-175. The main reason I ran it so high is we had some steer axle tires that ran 130 and I wanted to be able to pressure them up before I died of old age.

JD955SC

The pressure at the tool is going to be lower than the pressure at the compressor regulator. Our regulator is set at 120 so hopefully the tool is getting at least 90. We also use 1/2 hoses and high flow euro style couplers. I wouldn't mind having it turned up a bit more since we use 3/4 and 1" a lot.

I don't know at what point you get no more advantage or a significant increase in wear on the tool

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I’m sure that it’s wearing my tools out faster, (a candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long) but concrete makes a good stand in for loctite and it seems that I need the extra oomph to get it done.
I use 1/2” air hose and quick connections so pressure drop will be minimal.
Just curious more than anything about how other people do things.

hosspuller

Quick connects with the integral valve are a heck of a flow restriction. You don't see a pressure drop unless you're trying to flow the maximum air through the hose. My SOP was to install the next size up quick disconnect on hoses...
eg: a 1/2 disconnect on 3/8 hose. 3/4 on a 1/2 inch hose. or anything larger. The hose barb is a flow restriction on a hose too.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you want to make a 1" rattle gun work right you need a 1" supply hose. It works like that right on down. A 3/4" hose for a 3/4" rattle gun and a 1/2" hose for a 1/2" gun. If you want to check it plumb a gauge in between the end quick coupler and the hose fitting. Install your impact and then pull the trigger. Watch the gauge drop after about ten seconds of spin. A longer hose will also make a difference in pressure drop.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If you want to make a 1" rattle gun work right you need a 1" supply hose.

You are not the first one I have heard that from. Although I did not practice it. With 140 psi inlet I used a smaller hose and it always worked good enough. The first thwacks are going to be at system pressure anyway, it drops somewhat as the usage goes on. How fast is anybody's guess.

Jonas302

175 psi and always wanting more pressure and flow the shop im at now is a standard 5 hp 80 gal tank so I do some waiting
the shop I can from I had set up with 480 gals of air and up to 60 hp depending on how many switches you hit

A 1 inch hose makes the big gun turn into a whole new animal although I usually use a 1/2 inch hose and get by pretty good

Tenwheeler

For my big one inch gun a use a 20 gallon roll around tank with 10ft of 3/4 hose. Does not require 1 inch ran though the whole building and lots of power. Yes I have to wait on air intermittently.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
JohnC has it right.. it makes a HUGE diff. in air flow w/ the correct size feed line.
At work we have a "screw type" compressor, so no drop..
It runs at 145psi & the injection shop is regulated at 90.. so my answer is yes, we run the recommended psi in out air tools w/ no problems.
In the truck shop & engine tear down shop, they run a 1" line on certain walls JUST FOR the big jobs.
Its funny to watch some idiots try to get the head bolts out of a K50 12cyl. w/ a 3/8 air line.. they'll stand there rattlin their brains out until they hook up the 1" line.. then they come out w/ just a couple of raps of the gun..
size does matter..