• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

87 Ford LTL 9000

Diesel_Brad

Hey, been here for a little while, but only about my Ford 260C industrial loader tractor.

Anyway, I juts picked up a 87 LTL 9000. It is far from perfect but I think it was spec'ed right, so it is worth fixing up
400 cummins
13 speed
newly air ride
Flat top sleeper

The cab/doors and nose are in rough shape

But I found a brand new cab/doors at a dealer. It sat outside for a little so it has some surface rust.
My biggest dilemma about it, it has a V cut for a walk thru Hi top sleeper, My cab is only a square cut to hop into the bunk. Do you think i could use the V cut cab and just have access to the area under the mattress?

Dickjr.

I still see a lot of the LTL's on the road around here and some are tri-axle dump trucks. One guy in particular has one as a dump with a decent amount of chrome and nice paint. Still a good looking truck. Runs daily just like the ones that cost 150 grand.

crane operator

I think you could use the v cut cab- you may have to do some extra sealing up to keep from getting a lot of dust and dirt into the cab- if the little side door seals are gone, that dust is going to go right on into the cab.

I like the ford 9000 too. I currently own 1, a old day cab, the big gripe most people have with them is the steel cabs, have a tendency to rust out - unlike other aluminum cab trucks. Sure, there's no factory support any more- but most everything you would need is aftermarket available, or junkyard, available.
I really like their cabs, I find them roomy with great visibility, with that big front window, compared with say a old freightliner classic.

Planedriver

Occupation
Farmer
Crane, You are right about aftermarket parts being available. The parts that are getting really hard to find are for the front end, esp. any steering linkage. Strangely, the only Sterling dealer in Michigan stocks a lot of cab parts!