• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

77 Kenworth lighting

WCR73

Fellas,

Hoping someone has some wiring info for a 77 KW I'm working on. Been sitting 10 years. Owner trying to get it going for some short term work. It's having issues with pretty much all of the lighting circuits. Different circuits are doing different things... it's got all kinds of splices and butt connectors, it's a real mess behind the dash.

Anyone have access to schematics for this old girl? It's so jacked up I can't even begin to repair, I suggested gutting it all and starting over. If I could at least see on a diagram how it "should" be wired, it would help a lot.

As for the VIN... all I found was a 7 digit number:
152343S

That's what's on the pillar, as well as what's on reg and insurance. I'm not at all familiar with KW's from the 70's, is that the VIN??

Thanks for any help

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Fellas,

Hoping someone has some wiring info for a 77 KW I'm working on. Been sitting 10 years. Owner trying to get it going for some short term work. It's having issues with pretty much all of the lighting circuits. Different circuits are doing different things... it's got all kinds of splices and butt connectors, it's a real mess behind the dash.

Anyone have access to schematics for this old girl? It's so jacked up I can't even begin to repair, I suggested gutting it all and starting over. If I could at least see on a diagram how it "should" be wired, it would help a lot.

As for the VIN... all I found was a 7 digit number:
152343S

That's what's on the pillar, as well as what's on reg and insurance. I'm not at all familiar with KW's from the 70's, is that the VIN??

Thanks for any help

Vin sounds right. Find and clean every ground you can find. More than likely that's the issue.

Truck Shop

That's the vin the S stands for built in Seattle. Most of those Schematics are very hard to read or make out when they were new.

Truck Shop

WCR73

Thank you... yea I can't imagine a schematic from the 70's being very easy to read and/or navigate....

RZucker, is there a ground post behind the dash? Or are they all over?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Thank you... yea I can't imagine a schematic from the 70's being very easy to read and/or navigate....

RZucker, is there a ground post behind the dash? Or are they all over?
It's been a few years since I've worked on one that old, but check to see if it uses the grounding switches and make sure the switch panel is grounded well if it does. A lot of people don't realize that's how Kenworth wired things and the grounding switches for the relays completely blows their mind.