• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

73 580b CK oil sending unit

farrier6

Occupation
Aerospace - Farrier
Hi Folks, Im new to the forum. I have an old 580b hoe 1974 I believe and was wondering where they put the oil sending units from the factory. Also it has a prestolite alternator-generator it has a small voltage regulator that is attached to it. Does that unit just have the single wire that attaches to it?

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
Sending unit is usually attached somewhere near the oil filter and usually screwed right into the block , mine was removed at some point by one of the previous owners so I just ran tubing right out of the oil gallery to my gage to monitor oil pressure
fitting is usually 1/8" npt at the block.

farrier6

Occupation
Aerospace - Farrier
Thanks Tinkerer, I pulled the alternator and think I am going to replace it with a 3 wire Delco. That old prestolite I think is done.

Tinkerer

U r welcome. A one wire GM Delco alternator setup is the simplest way and cheapest to go. But it needs a self-exciting regulator installed in it. It won't charge when the engine is below about 1100 RPMs without it.

farrier6

Occupation
Aerospace - Farrier
Looks like I am going to stay with the prestolite for a while. Checked it out and voltage regulator is dead. Should have a new one in a day or two.

farrier6

Occupation
Aerospace - Farrier
I also have the 4 speed trans powered through the shuttle. I run the machine in 1st gear and only get 30 seconds or so and it slips out of gear. After reading a few threads I am led to believe that its either the shifting forks or some detent ball under the shifting cover. Is that correct. Is it something that would be hard to see the out of place condition if you didnt know exactly what you were looking for. Im thinking of tackleing all this in a week or so. I believe I will pull the fenders, tires, and get the infamous 580b brakes replaced while Im at it.sl Seems to be a lot of hardware to remove to get at this stuff. When I get into the brakes Ill have to hit yall up about installation and adjustment. I only want be required to do this teardown once. At least for now. Thanks

farrier6

Occupation
Aerospace - Farrier
I hope the tranny problem is a simple fix. Of course if I had to break it in jalf I guess i would just paint the mahine and make her look new again.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I had a 1974 B that jumped out of first I tried fixing it took the top off the tran checked the forks and detent ball while I had the top off got a mechanic to look at it can't remember what we did now but it didn't work. As a result I held it in first with my foot the rest of the time I owned it and showed the guy who bought it how I did it.

Doug Overkill

Occupation
Machinist
Hey Farrier welcome to the best place for info for the 580B. The oil pressure sending unit should be on the left side

upload_2017-3-6_0-33-30.png

Also I never run mine in 1st. Do you have a lot of hills where you are? Does it slip out if you put it in 2nd or 3rd? I have a fairly level property and I leave mine in 3rd gear for everything.