• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'68 580CK Project

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Its my turn to post up some pictures of my '68 580CK and show progress in this thread of my engine removal, major overhaul and replacement. While its apart, I am hoping to fix a couple of other issues and repaint the various pieces during reassembly. This will take place over some months due to the location of the machine and my ability to support the anticipated expense. While its not always prudent to put a substantial amount of effort and cost into 40+ year old equipment, I am the third owner and have had this one for over 25 yrs. Its been very useful at my cottage property on a small island in the Salish Sea (formerly Georgia Straight) off Vancouver Island. The time has finally come to do right by this workhorse and share the journey with those who frequent this board. I will also be seeking advice and clarification when issues come up, which I can guarantee there will be at least a few. Thanks for coming along on the ride....

DSCF4593.jpgDSCF4592.jpg

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
The Challenge

The first order of business is to try to get it started and pick up the hoe and loader. Failing that, it will be done the hard way. The work will take place in the shop shown in the attached picture. Push, Pull or Drag if its not running. Let the fun begin...DSCF4594.jpg

onemank6

Wow jusk i like that cab on yours i have seen some that are so big and ugly there almost cute but yours just fits i really dont want a cab on mine but have been looking at the rops for mine if i was to do a cab now that i have seen yours i would look for one just like that i know its a lot of work but the rewards are worth it

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Xpack, Its a Simms cab and was original equipment. In my rather damp climate, its nice to have although I should be parking it in the big shed rather than outside, but my junk is always in the way.

onemank6

Im keeping my fingers crossed you get her running so you can move it and you can bet im going to follow your project i see one of your loader arms looks like it has been welded on must be a week point on them as mine and my neighbors b are welded to,My neighbors b has the 4in1 bucket (clamshell) and the more i think about it that could be very handy.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
There is an issue that has been discussed here before regarding rolling the bucket back and lifting at the same time, which damages the loader arm pivots. If you notice, my machine has the levelling cylinder removed, as before I got it, it kept breaking the eye off the cylinder rod. I have it repaired but never reinstalled it. There is some relationship between the cracked right hand loader arm, rolling the bucket and the levelling cylinder. Once I get that far, mine will go back on. If I could find an undamaged loader arm assembly, I would consider replacing it but for now its ok. A 4in1 is only in my dreams as in later years, I am working alone and climbing off and on to chain logs and boulders gets a little old. The CK had the option, per the parts book but I have never seen one. Forks are another work saver. I have a thumb setup that will eventually be installed on the backhoe but for now its all sitting on the shop floor waiting for me to make up a few pins and figure out the related hydraulics. Tomorrow, I head into town to pick up my grandson and together over the next couple of days, I expect to get it running. He only has a few days here before going back to camp over Christmas so we will try to do as much as possible, including a visit and early Christmas dinner together.

onemank6

DSCN0221.jpg
Here you can see someone patched a piece on both sides but they did a pretty good job of doing it i will continue to use mine like this i just watch for new cracks.I had also been lurking on this sight reading a lot of different things about these and i do remember reading about that as well.Sounds like we use these or about the same thing logs boulders and your right it gets old jumping on and off in a mud hole to hook up chains ect...im also thinking pretty hard on a clamshell for mine if i can find one reasonable.Is the thumb your going to put on yours mechanical or hyd.??? I have also thought about doing that down the road i even seen on you tube where a guy has built a log splitter that you remove the bucket and put on a attachment and you split logs its not the type with a i beam but its almost like a thumb setup and he sells the for like $2500.00 .Enjoy the visit with your grandson sounds like some good bonding time!!!

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Well, last night and today we are getting another storm, the latest in a series that is blasting us every few days. After a long dry summer, we are making up for it and snow is on the mountains again. Over the years, I had a good neighbour out here on the island and we worked well together as a team but life moves on and so did he. The thumb that I am building up will be hydraulic. I like the ability that a 'progressive' thumb has when reaching out and rolling the digging bucket. Unless I can find a valve with the extra spool, I will probably use electric valves and some kind of proportioning. My hydraulics guy is pretty smart and has taken an interest in my idea. His ideas and my money will solve pretty much anything. I have the links and jaws already cut out of 1" material and when I get back to it, will make plywood patterns to play with the geometry for pin locations. Every time I think that we'll get on with it, something else comes up to push the thumb project further down the list. My grandson has always been a big help, even when he was little and had a big part in the construction of both the buildings that show in my pictures. Unfortunately, they grow up and he doesn't get out here much anymore. I have a list of stuff we'll do while he's here and if the weather settles down, we'll get out to the tractor. Thanks for checking in.

1968 Case 580CK

Wow jusk i like that cab on yours i have seen some that are so big and ugly there almost cute but yours just fits i really dont want a cab on mine but have been looking at the rops for mine if i was to do a cab now that i have seen yours i would look for one just like that i know its a lot of work but the rewards are worth it

JuskAtl......I agree....I like that old cab....definately protects you from swinging tree limbs and keeps the elements off you and the dash gauges, seat, etc. Also has plenty of air flow.

1968 Case 580CK

Juskatla.....You mentioned forks for your bucket. I just bought these for about $250 (including freight), and am very happy with them.....super strong, and they mount onto the loader bucket real quick. I like the middle brace that keeps them more stable, and you can attach chains and turnbuckles if you want to really lock them in place. I should have bought a pair of these years ago.

STA72800.jpg

STA72805.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
When I read the post about the forks, I said to myself, what in the world would you need forks for, on a backhoe..??
NOW I KNOW.. that is slicker that owl snot..!!
Then I got to thinkin'.. that would work perfectly to lift out the floor in my burnt up shop.. and just tip it into the dumpster.. rather than trying to cut it up into manageable pieces to fit in the bucket.. OR.. smashing it with the hoe and THEN scooping it with the bucket..
and the log lift is a great idea.. you can cut it off the ground and save some serious money and time in chain replacement/repair..
Not to mention.. the pesky neighbor who parks his car in your driveway.. just scoop it right thu the windows and she's moved.. lol
If its not to much trouble, could you send me a PM with the info on the forks..?? Thanks

1968 Case 580CK

When I read the post about the forks, I said to myself, what in the world would you need forks for, on a backhoe..??
NOW I KNOW.. that is slicker that owl snot..!!
Then I got to thinkin'.. that would work perfectly to lift out the floor in my burnt up shop.. and just tip it into the dumpster.. rather than trying to cut it up into manageable pieces to fit in the bucket.. OR.. smashing it with the hoe and THEN scooping it with the bucket..
and the log lift is a great idea.. you can cut it off the ground and save some serious money and time in chain replacement/repair..
Not to mention.. the pesky neighbor who parks his car in your driveway.. just scoop it right thu the windows and she's moved.. lol
If its not to much trouble, could you send me a PM with the info on the forks..?? Thanks

The PumpGuySC.......Hey.....you got me laughing good with the "slicker than owl not" comment.......Hilarious.....the laughing helps me digest my dinner. Yep.....I thought of the added feature of picking up cars that are in my way or chasing trespassers who cant read the "No Trespassing" signs. I was going to make my own forks, but found these high quality ones for only $250......was well worth it. I will post my source here in case some others have interest:

Titan Clamp on Heavy Duty Pallet Forks and adjustable Stabilizer Bar for loaders......$262/free shipping.

I ordered on Amazon, and the link to the forks is:
http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Pallet-..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0ZZFSXFN8NMX1PY6CS7F

Capacity on these is 4000 lbs. I think there is a size larger with a capacity of maybe 7500 lbs.

It is also neat that you can take the rubber boots off the back shoulders and slide 2x4s into the metal, and that makes a nice straight back rest if your moving alot of lumber or what-not.

onemank6

Juskatla hows your storm doing.Havent heard from you so thought i would say hey.If that storm is still getting it over there tie a sheet on that old girl and sail her into your shop.:woohoo

1968 Case 580CK

Xpac.......Hey, the sails might work so well, that Juskatla would be "up, up, up, and away", and he may not land that rig until he skeedaddles all the way from the Pacific coast to your place in Michigan. But, you did want someone to help experiment on the orange painting.

:lmaohttps://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/images/smilies/lmao.gif

1968 Case 580CK

thepumpguysc......hey, these forks are "slicker than owl snot"......great for moving piles of brush to a main burn pile:

STA72815.jpg

Seems to hold together better when I smash it down with the forks, and then scoop the pile up.

onemank6

Try that without forks and you will have lots of dirt mixed in from just trying to beat it in your bucket, these tractors are priceless !!!! somebody better get out the beer and brats i see a fire coming !!!

1968 Case 580CK

Try that without forks and you will have lots of dirt mixed in from just trying to beat it in your bucket, these tractors are priceless !!!! somebody better get out the beer and brats i see a fire coming !!!

Yea man.......this klepomaniac has matches in all pockets, a couple gallons of foul diesel, and is drewling and frothing at the mouth to set the huge brush pile ablaze (what you see in the pic times 50). Im wondering if it will show up on satellite if I burn after dark.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
We had a set of forks just like that to lift pallets of 4 inch pvc pipe . Worked well . The sad part was we lifted a skid of bagged cement and sprung the loader bucket . I think it happened while the machine was in travel and started bouncing . . Our new forks are attached at the top of the loader bucket and supported by the complete bottom of the loader bucket , much stronger .

1968 Case 580CK

BillS........Wow.....I wonder how much that skid of cement weighed. When you say "sprung" the loader bucket, do you mean the weight bent the lower portion of the loader bucket where the forks clamp on, or did the hydraulic cylinders give out? I would like to see a pic of your new set-up, as I cant quite visualize having it attached at the top of the loader bucket.

The trick is learning how to know when those forks are level and almost on the ground, as you cant see them from the drivers seat. The loader control handle has that little rod that pokes in/out, and for mine that little rod needs to be poking thru about 1/8". In this pic, you can see the small rod to the left of the bolt with several new washers under it:

580CK Resto Late June 2015 182.jpg

Is there another way to know when the bucket/forks are level?