• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6081a fuel injection timing

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Serial number 166xxx tier 1 it has a mechanical inline injection pump looking for procedure to time fuel system got cam and crank timed. Was told the pump can be pined like a cat but I couldn't find the plug for pin. it'salso got and indexable gear on the front held by 4 torx screws so if I time pump and engine does the front gear matter ? Any thoughts welcome thanks hef will try to upload some pics

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Remove the Hex socket plug from the front cover just infront of the inj pump, the timing marks are visible through the hole. Pin the engine at TDC#1 (IIRC some are pinned at 14* BTDC) through the flywheel housing, the small plug just below the barring tool hole on the RH side. I may be thinking of 6466/6076 but should be the same process judging by the pics. Looks like you're pretty deep into that unit to not have a service manual??

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Thanks gregshd yeah lol I have engine book but not the fuel system book ctm243 im working on that lol it

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I can tell by looking at the pic your on the wrong stroke..
See the BIG plug on the side on the inj. pump?? I think its a 20mm allen socket..
Smack it w/ a brass drift acouple of times & it will spin right out..
NOW, turn the engine over IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION OF ROTATION.. & watch the tappet inside the hole..
The direction of the pump is marked on the name plate.. PES6P...RS... R means right, as in clockwise looking at the front.. IF it says PES6P... LS... it means LEFT, counterclockwise looking at the front of the pump..
When it starts to rise, its coming up on #1 compression stroke..
The "extra" hole in your gear should be about 11:00??
Then your supposed to screw a "special tool" into the gear hole & have it go into the timing bracket hole on the pump..
SOME of the pump hubs have a timing line you line up w/ the line on the timing bracket & some don't..
you'll have to remove the plug like Greg mentioned.. inorder to see THAT line..
I hope this helps.. TPG

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
LOL.. I just looked at the pics again.. theres NO nameplate..
Just remove the plug like Greg said & rotate the engine over "clockwise" & look for the timing line marks inside the hole..
It looks like a "factory reman" job on the pump.. they glue the name tags on, where "us pros" use screws/rivets..

Drifter

There is a timing pin that goes through the hole in the gear on the end of the injection pump. Engine at #1 TDC and pump pinned that's it.