• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580K complete wiring guy and redo.

Emerson

So the wiring in my machine is so bad after years of bad hacks and east fixes (not by me). That I think it's time I look at doing something come the spring. I had installed new lights in the front years ago and thanks to a friendly mouse or a faulty gauge cluster they stopped working so I ended yup taking the cluster out ripping out the wires and using visegrips to hold the lights on.

So nothing works on the machine other then it starts and I have rear and front lights. AS far as I know I need power to the injector pump with the Key on for the machine to run. Can I just gut everything else? or is it worth maybe trying to keep the factory wiring harnesses in tact and going from there.

I'd like to get a few new gauges working. Like my Tach, Oil pressure and Coolant temp. I'll replace my cluster with a new panels and gauges. The coolant lines are still good up to the heater core in the ceiling so maybe I'll try and get the fan working again.. Wipers might be nice aswell.

Again easier to rip it all out? it looks like a rats nest.

Thanks

Grady

I don't have an easy answer for you but I'm in the same boat. You're right, you need power to the solenoid on the injection pump for it to run but I don't think you can gut everything else and still have it start. I think there's a 25 or 30 amp fuse in the box that is necessary for it to start and that doesn't run the power to the pump - if I'm remembering right... I rewired my old CK, that was pretty simple. My C needs it. It has a line of those small circuit breakers instead of fuses. I was planning on changing it over to fuses - any reason why I shouldn't? My K sounds like yours. At least it has a fusebox but being newer there are probably relays everywhere. If yours is as nasty as mine, I don't see any benefit in trying to save old wires but I know they like to wire one thing through another so you may want to tackle it one thing at a time instead of just tearing it all out and starting over from scratch - if you want to keep it wired like the factory. There's a wiring diagram in my C's manual. I don't have the K's book here but I imagine it has one too. I can send it if you don't have one or can't access it online. I'd make it a winter project if it wasn't so dam cold.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
The biggest problem with most 580K's is the fuse panel and cab relay because they are on the floor. There is a large relay on the floor at the front of the side console. Best bet when rewiring these things is to remove the seat to give you room and remove the side console. The large relay has several wires on it feeding power in the cab, usually it is corroded so a new one will be in order. Also remove the fuse blocks completely they usually corrode on the back side. These fuse blocks and terminals are available from Case and are very inexpensive. As far as your tach goes all you need to do is run 1 separate wire from the "W" terminal on the alternator to the tach it's that simple. The W terminal is alternating current it takes power from one leg of the alternator without rectifying the current. If you connect a multi meter positive cable to the W terminal and then find a good ground use the AC setting and you should see 8 volts that will let you know if the W terminal has power. If you get into it let me know I may have a wiring schematic here from years ago.

Emerson

Awesome thanks guys. gggraham. I might try pulling the fuse panel and relay 1st to see if that's the (an) issue. Nothing works in the cab so that might be the issue, i've checked the fuese but never looked at the connections on the back, or the relay for that matter. I have to tear the interior apart this summer, I had a mouse move in the winter and make a nest up above in the headliner, smells like mouse **** when it gets warm now... Good times..

Tinker thanks for the diagram, would you happen to have the Service manual for a 580?

Tinkerer

You are welcome Emerson ! More than happy to help out. I have gotten more than my share of help here.
I do have the service manual. Unfortunately I have tried in the past to email a service manual, but the file size is to big for my email server. All servers have a limit on transfer sizes to prevent the server from getting bogged down.
If anyone reading this knows how to post service manual here in pdf. format that would be awesome.

Grady

Here's a link to a pdf version of the 580K service manual. It's less than $20.