• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580K brakes sticking

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
What are you calling pretty hot? Have you checked the temp with a thermometer, I'd like to know what temp your transaxle is running. And BTW what model is your backhoe where is four speed shift lever?

I have not measured it with a thermometer. Tractor is 1988? model 580K with four speed coming out of the floor at right front of floor. It being torque converter equipped, it slips some in high gear climbing. 16000 plus pounds won't climb hills easily with seventy horsepower. The book says extend a hoe sdds 2050 pounds, the cab adds 600 lbs. I have a hydraulis thumb, adding more weight. I use third gear on steeper hills.

Willie

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I've been driving my backhoes to the job for over 25 years now up to 40 miles and never had any ill effects. Probably it averages out to 1000 miles or more a year on the road.
I've seen people do it all the time. Is it good or is it bad who knows for sure. I do know that the phase III transmission is better at roading than the older transaxle.

Armorer

Problem reoccured today. Had been loading the the dump trailer for about four hours, started driving back to the barn and it was loosing speed in third. Went to second made it to some shade checked the transaxle and the right side was smoking a little. Loosened both adjusters a few turns bu then the pressure had relived itself. A few short rolls forward and back it was coasting as normal, until I applied the brakes fairly hard then they were sticking again. Opened the dash up again and there is no more adjustment in the master cylinder rods any there is a little less than two inches of free travel.
Could it just be contaminants in the fluid plugging the ports?

mitch504

Your guess about a collapsing rubber hose is possible, too, though I have seen the ports in the master cylinder clog more often

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
If return springs on brake pedals are broken & the pedals jump around alot while moving the machine, they will slowly apply the brakes.
Not having any pedal free travel before the plungers/push rods contact the brake master cylinder piston, will give the same result.