• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580CK brake issue...

chiptoomey

I have a Case 580CK (with power shuttle) and am having an issue with the left wheel locking up.

I removed the brake housing and the pads and with the cover off, the wheel would turn fine. With the pads uninstalled, I put the cover back on (with the drum still installed) and again, the wheel would not turn.

I pulled off the drum, replaced the cover, and again, the wheel would turn. I now believe that the drum was pushing against the housing.

When I pulled the drum off, I noticed that there was no set screw to hold the drum on the splined shaft.

So this all leads me to the following questions:

1) I know that the brake pads pull around the drum to slow it down (providing braking) but how does the drum work in this system. Is it meant to push out against the cover?
2) What has actually failed here and needs to be replaced? (the pads are in really good shape)
3) Why, when the brakes are fully depressed, does the tractor actually hard stop (like there is a mechanical stop - which I assume to be the balls in the drum and gear assembly) This probably relates to question #1, but not sure.

Thanks for the help...I love working on this tractor but there are some new workings that I have never been exposed to before.

Chip

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
When the 2 bands grip the assembly, I posted a picture of(your last thread), the portion with the spline will continue to rotate, forcing the 4 balls inside to roll up ramps. The unit will expand for lack of better words and apply pressure on each lined side, to give a brake effect on the splined shaft.

There are 2 springs that hold this assembly together, sometimes they break. Sometimes oil leaking out from the transaxle will form a sticky goo. Linings sometimes come loose and break off. Make sure the band springs are in good condition and the brake is adjusted up to spec. Any of these may cause a grabbing or locking action.

With your rear cover off, check your carrier for side play and also the final drive gears for the same. Very good preventative maintenance. I posted a recent thread on an old CK I bought, with pictures. Phil:)

Last edited:

chiptoomey

Thanks for the info Phil. I got my brakes parts this week and will install them this weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it solves the problem.

Regarding your post on preventive maintenance, is that the same one that talks about the hydraulic oil choices (and has about 5 pages to the thread)?

Thanks,
Chip

chiptoomey

well, I finally got everything back together. Though the brake pads and links were part of the problem, I also found that one of the balls in the brake clutch came out of its pocket, causing the drum to bind.

Brakes are fixed and working perfectly! Thanks for the help guys!