• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580c trenching bucket question

jpeters

Occupation
PC technician
I am rebuilding a badly abused 12" trenching bucket. It was used as a battering ram I believe and it has a slopped out bushing that I have to repair with my line boring equipment. This bucket has no teeth on it and I am wondering if I need to weld some on. The soil here is hard black dirt.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Having teeth on a bucket has its pros and cons
Pros ,digs hard material better ,fit more material in bucket,fits into cracks in rock to help pull them out
Cons, easier to snag utilities when digging around them ,leaves loose material on bottom of trench,when back filling you tear up what ever you put the dirt on(dirt,blacktop,concrete,etc)

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
i like to have teeth on my 12 inch bucket. We have a lot of hard digging here

jpeters

Occupation
PC technician
Thanks guys for the input. I think I may just leave them off for now.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I have a toothed 12" bucket and ended up welding a plate over the teeth . Like mentioned easier to dig without hooking utility's and a backhoe has plenty of power to dig some pretty hard ground with a 12" bucket and no teeth. You can always weld some shanks on and add teeth if you feel you need them.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
I have a toothed 12" bucket and ended up welding a plate over the teeth . Like mentioned easier to dig without hooking utility's and a backhoe has plenty of power to dig some pretty hard ground with a 12" bucket and no teeth. You can always weld some shanks on and add teeth if you feel you need them.
plate on the teeth is a good idea I always wanted to do that but I have a 36 with no teeth to explose existing services the 12 only gets used for trenches and cutting logs