• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580B Transmission top plate

City Gate Mission

I was left holding my shifter in my hand after it failed at the pin hole. I was able to nurse it into neutral (I think), and tried to pull the top plate to weld the rod back up.
With the bolts removed, I am able to lift the rear edge of the plate about 1/2", but the front portion will not budge. Am I not in neutral? If not, how do I get there with a broken shifter?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
You have to shift both forks all the way forward to remove the top plate on these machines, the shift rods hit the housing if you don't.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Do I have to sneak under the plate to do this, or can I get them from the outside? I can only lift the rear of the plate.
If the shifter rails are not broken you can do it from the outside, with your shift levers, the rear one may have to be pushed a little more when you raise it up but not much.