• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580B Rockford PowerShuttle - Stumped and missing Phil!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
1973 case 580b - power shuttle q

sorry, i can't help with your problem, but i do have a question.

is there a way to tell, without splitting the tractor, whether i have a rockford or twin disc shuttle? is one better (reliability, parts availability, cost?) than the other... and can one be swapped out for the other?

perhaps we should also set up a thread for companies that sell replacement parts? as these machines get older, i'm guessing parts are just gonna disappear. having that info in one place would be helpful.
The best way to tell which shuttle you have is remove the top cover on the torque tube where you check and fill with oil. The twin-disc has relief poppets in the piston housings and the Rockford does not

jcarpenter

this may not be the right place to post this but I am looking for a diagram of a case 580b forklift control levers and what they do. I am new to the forum and the forklift. Thanks in advance!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
this may not be the right place to post this but I am looking for a diagram of a case 580b forklift control levers and what they do. I am new to the forum and the forklift. Thanks in advance!
How many levers do you have on your lift? Usually the first one closet to the steering wheel is for raise and lower the forks. The second or middle one is for tilt forward and backward. And the third closest to the right finder is for slide option, if installed, right to left or visa versa. If you get on line to www.partstore.casece.com you can look up all parts for your lift. You can also find the decal you need for your control patteren.

jcarpenter

Thank you for the response, there are 3 others that I'm not sure what they are:
While sitting on the seat, on the left side there is a handle that rotates back?, down to the left is a pedal that goes under the seat mount back to where the forward / reverse controls are and there is a rod with a handle that pushes down. I am trying to get an understanding of what these controls do so that I can figure out why the lift goes forward very slow in 1st gear only. It will not move in any other gear forward. Reverse works fine as far as I can tell.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
What does the bore where the sealing rings set in the main case look like, I have seen damage there that allowed oil to get to ports it was not supposed to. I have seen them sleeved and repaired , one thing that strikes me is I have had this happen years ago when first starting out, it is possible to install the snap rings and the splined washer in the wrong sequence and not get full release on the clutches if so this could account for the slippage and smoking clutches, the OEM service manual is not very clear on proper installation.

On the Rockford unit lube pressure comes in back of the clutch pistons to collapse the pistons away from the clutch pack. The valving is pretty simple and straightforward and I do not believe the problem to be valving, I would check charge pressure and operating pressure with the shuttle in each position, good pressure in neutral and low in F or R would indicate a leak. I believe that the converter charge pressure is also lube pressure and MAY be able to be observed with the pedal depressed on the main pressure gage on the dash, IIRC it will be up above the bottom a quarter inch but you can install a gage in the small regulator block next to the main shuttle control valve, they have been know to stick but most often open rather than closed showing low or no charge pressure.

Jim Schroeder

I have a Davis Road Runr Trencher with a Case 580B Diesel Tractor.

Here is a picture of the tractor and the shifter lever. Do you know what the lever is in front of the gear shift?

6.JPG
It attaches to the arm shown and the gears shown. I am looking for both of these pieces.

6.JPG IMG_2080.jpg
My phone is 620-408-6451 if you would rather call.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Connect air to spool control valve aft metal line on left side. With cover off and oil drained use control lever by steering wheel to see clutches work. If u fill it with oil u can see where air bubbles come from if mt u can hear air leakage . Just a thought

Last edited: