• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 super L no brakes

awful knawful

my bud has a 1996 Case 580 Super L backhoe and it has no brakes at all. It has the "A3" axle in it. We tried bleeding the brakes per the manual to no avail. The machine has high hours 10000+ and is roaded all the time to get place to place. Would it be time to replace the brake parts or is it something else. He said the brakes have been going bad/ getting worse for some time now.
thanks

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
...The machine has high hours 10000+ and is roaded all the time to get place to place. Would it be time to replace the brake parts or is it something else. He said the brakes have been going bad/ getting worse for some time now.
thanks

i think you answered your own question, if the brakes were progressively getting worse then the packs are probably worn down and need replacing. as opposed to losing brakes all of a sudden. another thing that i believe the K's had a problem with was improper labeling of the brake fluid covers (they recommended DOT3 fluid wereas they were supposed to receive regular oil in the system. the DOT3 would break down the piston seals eventually causing them to leak through. Now im not sure if this problem carried over to the L's but or what kind of oil is supposed to be used in their system but im sure one of the more experienced posters here will correct me if im wrong...

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
If it has lasted 10k & it has original brakes, they are long overdue.
For the record 580L will have it's brake master cyl automaticaly filled from the hydraulic system.