• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 K light flasher question

whatwas

I have a 1990 580 K (shifter on the right console) and when I removed the console, I have a dead end wiring harness with what looks like a recepticle for a 4 or 5 prog flasher, but no flasher................than when I took the small dash panel (4 phillips screws)off that would be by your left knee, there's another recepticle the same. Are these flashers a case only part or something I can get at the local UAP? case dealer didn't know what to think. Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Need a little more info. Are you saying you're machine has signal lights and they don't flash (from possible lack of flasher)? Are you certain it's a flasher receptacle, or are they possibly relay receptacles? A flasher receptacle typically would have two or three terminals, relay receptacles typically have 4 or 5 terminals.

mitch504

Those are relay plugs. I think you have 2 seperate flashers, one each for the 4-ways, and turn signals; but I'll check. Do you have a cab, or ROPS? The wiring hanesses are different. If it is the turn signals, it may well be the switch on the right side of the column, and they are pricey. I think the flashers are up under the steering column, but I'll check tomorrow. Really need to know if cab or not.

fpgm04

Your second picture link is not opening for me, however the first picture link for the front console appears to be a relay connector, not a flasher.

As Willie59 stated, standard flashers typically have 2-3 terminal pins. Additionally Case does have a special flasher unit that controls both turn signals and 4-way flashers that are used on the K and other series backhoes. It has 7 terminal pins on it, 2 of which are smaller in size.
Typically the unique Case flasher is located in the steering wheel column shroud. Based on your picture, I think you are dealing with the standard relay though.

To confirm what you have, how many wires are in the connector and are all of the terminals the same size?

Assuming it is configured for a relay, the relay used in the front console is standard. However just like fuses, relays have power ratings so you need to make sure you get the correct relay for the application. I believe I recall that these relays on the K are 30 amp, but don’t quote me on that.
They are used on many pieces of construction equipment (dozers, skid steers, etc.) so your Case dealer would probably have one in stock and you would be sure to get the correct power rating if you purchase through a Case dealer.

As installing a relay that is underrated for the application can cause a lot of damage including fire, I personally would play it safe and get one from the dealer and chalk the cost up to cheap insurance.

whatwas

Thanks fpgm04,
There is 5 wires .....2 are live (power). I'm sure now if I ask for the right part (relay) when talking to my case dealer , he will understand what I need. Great forum site, thanks again.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Yeah, here is a standard automotive type relay available at any autoparts store

relay_diagram.JPG

sometimes there is another terminal near 30, when 86 is hot, 30 is connected to 87 (B+). If it has the 5th terminal, between 30 and
87, (87A) then that is hot when 86 is switched off.

Again, 4 or 5 wire, standard automotive parts if the pins are similar to the pic and they should be, unless they are micro relays
then its a different standard part... here's one from a jeep but its the smaller type of relay, also common

jeep-wrangler-tj-horn-relay-diagram.png

Last edited: