• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

550 case brakes

darrell brock

Hey guys . i'm new here an could use some help. Problem is brakes do not wont to disengage fully, they want to drag. I've located the brake actuator adjustment an have toyed with them and the manual brake cables to no avail. i can get them to free up evntually by powering back an forth but as soon as i touch the brake or brakes they dont wanna a disengage. i'va also pulled both actuator adjusters out an the pivot arms do not move freely i was told i should be able to move them by hand . I can't and am having trouble getting them to move . could this be the problem or is there some thing else i should check.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @darrell brock
Are the return springs still in place on the actuator levers on the transmission?
Do you have about 3 inches of pedal travel before the brakes are applied? If the pedals are adjusted too high, the brakes will drag. ;)

550 brakes.png

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My My, how things change to stay the same. Those appear as old Allis farm tractor brakes on steroids!! My AC 180 has the ball/ramp style of actuator just not hydraulically applied. Make sure all the pins are free, no rust then disassemble on side and inspect the spline stub for wear steps, if are slipping over a step and hanging could be why they apply only to release when hammer F-R.