• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

50 Ton Proof roller attachment (towed)

Mjrdude1

We are doing a runway replacement job at an AirForce base. The specs call for using a 50 ton proof roller.
We have rented one from another hiway contractor which tows behind a farm tractor.
We are looking to buy one, but these things are like dinosaurs, really old and scarce. I have found several older self propelled models but we would like to get the towed type so when it's not in use we don't have yet another drivetrain to maintain.
It looks like a big open top box sitting over a single axle under the middle with 4 large smooth tires.

My question is, have any of you seen one sitting in the USA that the owner might be willing to sell? Or, know of brands other than Ferguson and Grace that may still be in business and making them?

Thanks, Mike

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Mjrdude1 Excuse my ignorance but what do they mean by a "50 Ton Proof Roller". Is there some formula applied to the tyre footprint versus weight?

One job we did way back was proof rolled with a fully (overloaded) dumptruck.

Cheers.

Mjrdude1

Scrub, I'm not privy to the exact specs, but the towed tub we have rented is like a huge tub with a set of ocillating axles in the middle and 4 large smooth tires. It is filled with ballast (crushed concrete) and towed behind a 9520 Deere tractor. Evidently, the roller is supposed to weigh 50 ton when loaded from what I can tell.
Basic function is to roll over compacted areas and discover soft spots if any. We have found a few hiway contractors that have them, but aren't willing to part with them due to some road specs requiring their use. It is kind of an antiquated spec that uncle sam has never gotten away from, kinda like requiring the old towed sheepsfoot rollers for compaction, when the newer machines can put it down tighter and faster, lol.

Our shop can fab a lot of things, and we will probably build one if it comes to that, but we are a bit limited on floor space for fab work. Hence looking for one that may be sitting in someones yard rusting away that they could turn to cash. :)

Edit: We usually use a Cat scraper or heavy loaded dump truck as mentioned, but the Core is tough on specs, lol

ZCON

Proof Roller

I know you posted this a long time ago but are you still looking for a proof roller? I have 1 available for purchase if you are interested.