• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

416C Thermostat housing leak

AllDodge

Noticed a leak some time back and it was red so figured it was steering cylinder leak. Later looking closer tis is a new leak and its antifreeze (go figure its also red). Found the location and its the gasket between the head and thermostat housing. Would guess this is a paper type gasket and wonder why it would leak in that location. I have hardly ever seen a leak between two cast iron items unless blots loosen up and they look tight (I know looks can be deceiving).

Looking at SIS (serial number in Sig) , also having an issue finding the correct gasket

Photo1290.jpg

Dickjr.

That looks different from mine , maybe the angle. My thermostat housing is below the top radiator hose. I replaced the housing and the gasket was an o ring. It came as a kit. More pics if you can.

AllDodge

A bit uncertain about the gasket part number 6I-0453. Went to SIS and entered s/n and searched for the part and nothing came back. Put in regulator and found the housing and also notice two different O-ring gaskets. My housing has 5 bolts with 10MM heads. Looking up the gasket I found a pic on ebay, and the bolt patten doesn't look like the housing. My as-built engine arrangement according to CAT (have not look on the machine) is 158-6065

That said SIS does not list my arrangement number, hence while I'm unsure about the seal/gasket

Photo1291.jpg s-l500.jpg

AllDodge

More info shows one of the gaskets have been replaced in pic 2, others are in different locations. Could take the housing off and then take the seal in, or contact CAT but would like to figure it out before doing anything

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG

Cmark

My mistake, must have put the serial number in wrong.

If your engine is original, it should have the serial number of 7BJ19464. This means it has either the 1711076 housing and 1724844 seal (type 1) OR the 2346862 housing and 2346861 seal (type 2). However the type 2 part numbers are direct updates from the type 1 numbers. This suggests some kind of improvement in the type 2 arrangement, so you should probably anticipate having to buy a new type 2 housing and seal when you take it apart.

Dickjr.

I was told the upper hose adapter would crack because it is some sort of plastic. I replaced mine and it still leaked. Found the leak in the front cover. You might luck out and replace the housing. The kit I got had everything in it , adapter , thermostat , all seals.

AllDodge

Thanks for the heads up.
Did some dozing and then used the 416 in some clean up, dumped some water in the rad to keep it going. Once done it a few days with the work I'll pull it apart and get some parts

Dickjr.

Mine was leaking between the block and the front cover adapter plate. Right behind the injection pump. It leaked real slow I added a couple gallons over a years time. It finally pushed the gasket out , you could see bits of gasket material. I , in a pinch got the bright idea to get some bars stop leak and try it. It stopped the leak for about 2 weeks then let loose again. Spray was like poking a pin hole in a plastic bottle and squeezing it hard. I like my 416 , got a 420F2 rented now. Its ok except the front bucket. You can't see it. I'd follow your plan , remove all those housing and reseal the observe.

AllDodge

Pulled the thermostat housing and its a composite material. Have pics and will post later, the cable isn't connecting right now.

It does use an O-ring, so I'm debating on whether to use some king of gasket sealer or not. Have silicone and marine bellows adhesive and permatex high tack

oilslick

Mine was leaking between the block and the front cover adapter plate. Right behind the injection pump. It leaked real slow I added a couple gallons over a years time. It finally pushed the gasket out , you could see bits of gasket material. I , in a pinch got the bright idea to get some bars stop leak and try it. It stopped the leak for about 2 weeks then let loose again. Spray was like poking a pin hole in a plastic bottle and squeezing it hard. I like my 416 , got a 420F2 rented now. Its ok except the front bucket. You can't see it. I'd follow your plan , remove all those housing and reseal the observe.
I am heading down the same road, front cover gasket! Any pointers for me before I tear it down. I resealed everything easy and I still get coolant trickling down by inj pump.

Dickjr.

oilslick , I took my tractor to a shop. I do most small repairs myself , but this one gets pretty involved. I was told its a 15 to 16 hour job. If you have the time and a good manual might not be a problem.