• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

410b hydraulic pump

rockdog

My John Deere 410b hydraulic pump whines. I've noticed it doesn't whine when you use any of the attachments. Such as putting pressure to the bucket etc. It also doesn't have the power in the backhoe I think it should. I've changed the hydro oil and all the filters including the suction screen. They were all clean. Is the pump going South?
I've read that these have some kind of electric deal on the pump to control pressure or flow or something. Could it be that? I just don't want to buy a new pump and still have the problem. And sure don't want the pump to scatter and have metal parts throughout the system.
Just thought I'd throw this out there to get your opinions since I'm new to equipment like this.

BUFFALERO

The solenoid on the pump is just used to exaust pump pressure while you are cranking on the starter, so it does not build pressure until you let off the key when it starts.

rockdog

The solenoid on the pump is just used to exaust pump pressure while you are cranking on the starter, so it does not build pressure until you let off the key when it starts.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know what it was for. But that makes sense. So the pump is probably going out. I won't be using this machine much till spring. So I'll get the pump replaced before then.

BUFFALERO

I would try to find out if the whine is coming from the pump or one of your valves. What i would do is get a long screw driver let the machine warm up, put the end of the screwdriver against the pump, then put your ear on the handle. Have someone move the bucket on the backhoe while you listen. It will be very noticable if it does not change the noise where you have the screwdriver move it to the filters because there is a bypass valve in one of the filter housings that may be stuck or the spring may be broke and you may be getting a valve buzz.

rockdog

I would try to find out if the whine is coming from the pump or one of your valves. What i would do is get a long screw driver let the machine warm up, put the end of the screwdriver against the pump, then put your ear on the handle. Have someone move the bucket on the backhoe while you listen. It will be very noticable if it does not change the noise where you have the screwdriver move it to the filters because there is a bypass valve in one of the filter housings that may be stuck or the spring may be broke and you may be getting a valve buzz.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Jeremy

Occupation
Heavy Equipment mechanic/welder
My John Deere 410b hydraulic pump whines. I've noticed it doesn't whine when you use any of the attachments. Such as putting pressure to the bucket etc. It also doesn't have the power in the backhoe I think it should. I've changed the hydro oil and all the filters including the suction screen. They were all clean. Is the pump going South?
I've read that these have some kind of electric deal on the pump to control pressure or flow or something. Could it be that? I just don't want to buy a new pump and still have the problem. And sure don't want the pump to scatter and have metal parts throughout the system.
Just thought I'd throw this out there to get your opinions since I'm new to equipment like this.

Hey rockdog,

When you say the backhoe has reduced power, are you speaking of speed or break-out force?

Jeremy

rockdog

Hey rockdog,

When you say the backhoe has reduced power, are you speaking of speed or break-out force?

Jeremy
I mean hydraulic power. I dug a hole in my back yard, it's all clay. I wouldn't dig full bites with the backhoe. Not enough hydraulic strength. My old case 530 dug in this same clay with more umph. Not sure if that is breakout power? I'm kinda a newbie to this stuff.:beatsme

Jeremy

Occupation
Heavy Equipment mechanic/welder
Morning rockdog,

Well it sounds like you have a pressure issue. Which would be directly related to "breakout force". Get your local wrench/mechanic to check your MRV(Main relief valve) pressure. Off the top of my head you should be running anywhere from 3200 psi to 3500 psi. This needs to be checked first and foremost. Once your mechanic verifies that the MRV pressure is within spec., he can move on to the circuit ARV's,(Auxillary relief valves.) which are incorporated into the control valve. I have seen ARV's "unscrew" themselves, while in the control valve. Your mechanic can swap ARV's, you have two for each function(Rod side and Piston side of each cylinder circuit.) If your breakout force increases after swapping them, you have a faulty ARV. Some brands of equipment don't utilize a ARV for the bucket cylinder rod side.(You don't need one for dumping as oppossed to digging. When we install "Breaker kits" here at the shop, we install one in the valve. Cause some of the operators have tendency to pry the broken concrete, which puts excessive force on the rod side of the bucket cylinder. Causing the rod to bend or break.

FYI: If you had a "hydraulic speed issue/cycle times" your looking at a pump flow issue/G.P.M.

Have a good one, rockdog! Gotta run-out on a Wheel loader this morning....frozen fuel lines.

Jeremy