• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4 in bucket levelling

Welder Dave

I have a 4 in 1 bucket on my 931B. I am levelling out some clay but find it difficult to keep a flat cut over the distance I'm trying to level (about 150'). I've tried adjusting the bucket angle slightly but it still seems to not want to stay level when starting out from a level surface. I'm wondering if a standard bucket works better for levelling? I know on my skid steer I can put the bucket level and just keep doing little sections at time and keep it level but for a long distance the Cat just has way more push. Would new teeth on the bucket make getting the angle just right more difficult? I have a hoe on the back that maybe is a contributing factor too. I don't have that much big pushing to do and will need the hoe later so don't want to take it off unless it is contributing to the problem. Appreciate some opinions on what might make it easier to get a level cut.

ih100

New teeth will help. You don't just set the bucket and keep a constant angle, you have to feel what's going on and keep trimming the angle as you go. No different to a general purpose bucket. If the backhoe comes off easily, that'll help with front bucket work. They transfer too much weight away from the bucket.

Welder Dave

I think it might be the packed clay I'm digging into. It has some moisture and is quite dense. I have new bucket teeth and they seem to either dig in too much or start riding up on the clay instead of slicing into it. I think I'm just going to do short sections and load it in the dump truck and then do another section so I'm not pushing so much material. The clay isn't sticking in the bucket too much but is very heavy and takes a lot of power to dig. I think it would work better if it was drier.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
When dozing with a 4 in 1 bucket set the bucket down on the stops with the lip open. To adjust your cut tilt forward or backward.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I rebuilt a GP as my MP was a HOSS of dead weight and kept the machine off balance to the nose causing it to arbitrarily dig too hard if encountered a stiff spot, I am about to go after the same are to expand a sight line and remove a lot of spoil so will find out at the end of the month.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
I know what you mean , I replaced the teeth on my bucket and
That did help, but I get a better smooth with a back drag . but
It's hard not to get a low spot or two, I am going to use a little level with a magnet.

ih100

I think it might be the packed clay I'm digging into. It has some moisture and is quite dense. I have new bucket teeth and they seem to either dig in too much or start riding up on the clay instead of slicing into it. I think I'm just going to do short sections and load it in the dump truck and then do another section so I'm not pushing so much material. The clay isn't sticking in the bucket too much but is very heavy and takes a lot of power to dig. I think it would work better if it was drier.

How deep are you cutting? As soon as your teeth cut in, roll the bucket back a tad to compensate for the bucket loading up and "sucking down" - oh, i can't explain this in words, send me a first class ticket and I'll fly out there! Don't have a ripper on anything, do you? Long story short, keep practising, you'll find what works for you.

Thing is, I find cutting clay with a bucket easier than with a blade, and when cutting clay, you need weight on the front of the machine. Bit of a hindrance when loading, but everything is a trade off and you do what you can with what you've got. It's doable, I've done it for years.

catdriver

Hi I have operated tracked loaders of all makes and as the over gentleman says practise will help .
What you may find is if you open the bucket roll it over until both cutting edges are touching the ground it will give you more weight at the front .I do not prefer this way of grading but sometimes you have to do things you do not like to get the job done

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
I seem to have a problem keepin the machine level and get a low spot . I thought about using a mag level to get a better smooth grade . ...

ih100

Hi I have operated tracked loaders of all makes and as the over gentleman says practise will help .
What you may find is if you open the bucket roll it over until both cutting edges are touching the ground it will give you more weight at the front .I do not prefer this way of grading but sometimes you have to do things you do not like to get the job done

Where in the UK are you, Catdriver?

catdriver

Hi i am based near Doncaster as regards keeping the bucket level practise is key as well as treating the bucket as if it is full of eggs