• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3600 ford tractor

micbare

Occupation
maintance man for a medical group
Other than the expensive oil, they sell at the New Holland dealer. What is the best kind of oil for the transmission and final drives in my 3600 ford tractor.
Also what it be the same for the power steering?:beatsme

td25c

We always use "tractor Fluid"I cant think of the brand name.I get mine at a farm supply store called "Rural King"they are a retail chain.another one is "tactor supply".I would think one of these stores might be in your neak of the woods.Tractor fluid is basicly 10 wieght motor oil,It will work in gear and power shift transmissions,differentials,hydraulic systems,ect.We put it in our tractors & dozer transmissions.It runs around 30.00 for a 5 gallon bucket.I usually put 15/40 in the engine and power steering.

Russelln

Occupation
Electronics Engineer & Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
Tractor Supply has it too in 5 gallon pales for $79.00. It is 90w minerial oil

Richardjw~

Other than the expensive oil, they sell at the New Holland dealer. What is the best kind of oil for the transmission and final drives in my 3600 ford tractor.
Also what it be the same for the power steering?:beatsme

Either ATF fluid or Hydraulic oil for the power steering.

For the transmission you can could get away with some super universal STOU 15w/30 or 15w/40 oil.To be hon. you'd probably find that this oil would suit the engine as well as the trans/hyd. system.
The standard FORD spec. was M2C 159 A or B for both, so as long as the oil drum has that on it you'll be right.

We always used to put in Castrol Multi-use in our tractors back in the '70s and '80s and never had a problem.....and the 3600 wasn't designed with the space-age technology of today's tractors

Last edited:

td25c

I picked up some tractor fluid at rural king today.Its called "Xtreme" tractor hydraulic & transmission fluid.It is made by unimark oil co which is a division of Cross oil & reffining & marketing ink.Smackover,AR. 71762.Meets OEM spec's for agco,mf,white ,allison, case,ih cat,ford,new holland,and john deere.32.99 for 5 gallon bucket.Hope this helps.

alanstr

Occupation
farm tractors & equipment repair
Sam's Club has the UTH fluid if there's one in your area.That would be 5 gal pail with the green writing,the one that has blue writing is plain hyd oil and not for common sump applications.That's why I liked the Deutz tractors,a lot of them used 15W40 SAE oil for everything.