• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3306 Cat engine

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner

well guess I hit another dead end, I thought sure this guy had it figured out. I know the air/fuel ratio assy. was bad I saw it leaking. Took it out for a test ride and the same no power issue, loaded
He is going to call some buddies at Cat, he thinks, now it might be in the governor, but unlike the other guys he wants to do more research before changing parts again. He has made several adjustments on the two screws for the fuel (I forgot what he called them) finally he turned them all the way out (almost) and still the same thing. He says we should be getting major black smoking now, but its just a very little black smoke when starting off and through the gears. This is a very knowable guy and he has helped me out in the past, looks like it may take some extra time on this one.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner

Have you had those injectors tested yet?
I asked him about that today and he said the engine started and ran too good, for the injectors to be real bad. It is on the top of the list to do. I guess this kind of thing, is a trail and error thing
Thanks

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I never figured it out, I sold the truck to a local mechanic and he put a 3406 in it
I really think it was low compression, but I never had it checked.
I still like the 3306 engines, I guess I got a bad one

1toomanyhobbies

I never figured it out, I sold the truck to a local mechanic and he put a 3406 in it
I really think it was low compression, but I never had it checked.
I still like the 3306 engines, I guess I got a bad one

I really hate to hear that. I can imagine you spent some $$ with the shops that looked at it before deciding to sell. I guess this is the potential nightmare we all face when running older dump trucks. Thanks for sharing your experience.

divedigger

3306 water in oil

I really hate to hear that. I can imagine you spent some $$ with the shops that looked at it before deciding to sell. I guess this is the potential nightmare we all face when running older dump trucks. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I bought a 89 MARMON heavy triaxle with a 3306 and 8ll and starts and runs good but has water in the oil. Besides o-rings around the liners , whot else shoule I look for? Dont mean to hijack you thread but seems like a lot of knowledge on the 3306s here Thanks Divedigger

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
My first experience with 3306, water in oil went like this
pulled radiator and had it tested (tested good)
installed a Cat rebuilt water pump (same deal, still getting water)
dropped base pan and pressurized water system (no signs of Orings leaking)
Now Im getting Peed off
I pulled the water pump and replaced it with one off a running engine
GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they sold me a bad water pump, no leaks now
Of course, this is $1800 later and alot less hair on my head
If the water pump, doesnt fix it pull the oil cooler, unless its a rough engine, I would change it, or at least have it tested. You can test it yourself, but most radiator shops do it
How does it run?
does it smoke?
I will fore-warn you, if you buy a rebuilt pump from Cat, you will have to put up a core deposit, its usually the same price as a water pump. They will refund your money (maybe) if your core is good, about 30 days
Its not hard to change, you can do it.
most heavy equipment places can get it for you, it doesnt have to be a Cat dealer, just have your engine serial number ready
Dont let Joe Smoo, talk you into rebuilding your pump, the kit will cost you a bunch and then you have to worry about doing it correctly, the warranty is yours then
I dont remember what Cat charged me, but Im thinking $4-$500. I bought one about a year ago for around $300, no core required
If you cant find one, send me a PM

divedigger

3306 water in oil

My first experience with 3306, water in oil went like this
pulled radiator and had it tested (tested good)
installed a Cat rebuilt water pump (same deal, still getting water)
dropped base pan and pressurized water system (no signs of Orings leaking)
Now Im getting Peed off
I pulled the water pump and replaced it with one off a running engine
GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they sold me a bad water pump, no leaks now
Of course, this is $1800 later and alot less hair on my head
If the water pump, doesnt fix it pull the oil cooler, unless its a rough engine, I would change it, or at least have it tested. You can test it yourself, but most radiator shops do it
How does it run?
does it smoke?
I will fore-warn you, if you buy a rebuilt pump from Cat, you will have to put up a core deposit, its usually the same price as a water pump. They will refund your money (maybe) if your core is good, about 30 days
Its not hard to change, you can do it.
most heavy equipment places can get it for you, it doesnt have to be a Cat dealer, just have your engine serial number ready
Dont let Joe Smoo, talk you into rebuilding your pump, the kit will cost you a bunch and then you have to worry about doing it correctly, the warranty is yours then
I dont remember what Cat charged me, but Im thinking $4-$500. I bought one about a year ago for around $300, no core required
If you cant find one, send me a PM

I bought the truck like this because of heavy eatons on beams, a reman 8LL and a 20K pusher and thought I would keep the 8LL then parts it out , but after learning that these were hand made trucks and thats the only known problem, it with be a shame to bone out a Classic especially that this truck was being used till this happened so they decided to trade dump beds on another truck with more HP. The owner said it was 1 tough ole truck and had been O/H about 3 yrs ago ,so I want to see if it is feesable to fix and if not , it will make $ just boneing it out! Incidently the last MARMON was in 1997 and I have found a site that will buy any used parts but Quick as I can kick out a hole in the shop, cursority has the best of me! Thanks again for the info, buy the way I am just over the hill from you in the Tri Cities area in Tennessee

Luiz Dias

I bought a Ford L9000 with the same engine and same problem, every body I talked to said "you got a small engine, it is what it is", till a guy that I met at work that had the same engine told me to check the diaphragm at the injector pump( on the rear of the pump, afrc...) Now I got my 300hp, and it's plenty for my old truck. The diaphragm kit with some orings and a little gasket cost about $30