• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

310G backhoe cranks over but wont start

Bmxanimal

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a little help here if possible. The unit is a 310G and it does have an ECU. Things started out back in April with this backhoe that was misfiring due to a bad injector and had a leak in the fuel tank. I took the tank off for repair and replaced all the injectors. Well it sat for 4 months till the owner had the tank repaired. I installed the tank, added fuel, bled air from the system and tried to fire it up. It won't start. It cranks and immediately sounds like it wants to start then just dies out and cranks some more. I can try to start it again right away but it just cranks, no trying to start. If I crack the fuel line at the injection pump to relieve fuel pressure and then tighten it back up it will crank and try to start again but then dies out immediately again. I even went as far as having the ECU programmed with the payload again. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to check from here

Tenwheeler

Put clear hose on pump supply to check for air. Does it have an electric fuel pump in the system? Trace the lines. Some fuel systems shut engine down if fuel return line is plugged up, mud dobber?

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
Get a hand primer and pump until you see good return , Does it smoke while cranking over ? if not , no fuel .
I used to run supply from a separate container with clean fuel to eliminate any issues with the tank , you can run the return back to that container as well and see what it looks like. this will eliminate any clogged up filter problems or air getting into your supply side.

Bmxanimal

I will run some clear hose and check for air in the system but yesterday I did go thru and replace all the seals in the filter housing, primer pump, injection lines and injection pump. But still the same thing. It does have an electrically controlled injection pump, it produces smoke while turning over also.

Tenwheeler

I do much more ag than hoes but in both cases you can go to John Deere Parts Catalog ( If you find the correct one ) and look at the same thing the dealer parts man does. That helps some times. Looks like your 310 has a mechanical lift pump? The 5 and 6 series ag tractors with electrically controlled pumps here have an electric pump. They also have a restrictive fitting in the return line, must be there. Ignition switches some times cause that problem also.

NCman

• I had a similar problem on my 555e. It would turn over and try to crank after sitting a day, then just turn over. It ended up being that diesel algae clogging up the banjo bolt where fuel line went into the fuel bowl. Maybe yours has a similar fitting?
  • Seems like when pressure was relieved overnight some fuel would slip past the fiber/algae wad and it would try to crank but clog quickly after that first attempt. Once it was cleaned and I added that diesel algae treatment it cranked immediately and no issues since.

Last edited: