• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3-53 Detroit kicked my butt today

d9gdon

Yes you have the right stuff, it's yellow and slimy and very sticky. It dries pretty fast, should stick well in an hour or two in that cold. Doesn't take much.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
That yellow stuff is great. I brought the blower in the garage and warmed it up to about 60 degrees, applied the snot, (it does look like it) and let it set for 20 minutes. I applied the gaskets and with some finger pressure they laid flat and stuck like they had been on there for years. Slid the blower in and had it tightened up in 15 minutes. And to think how I fought the other one. It was around +40 F today so I cranked it using the #2 diesel in the tank. I'm happy to report it fired up and ran good. Thanks to all whom gave advice and clued me in on the 3M adhesive. It will be in my tool box from now on. I'm still in need of a 3-53 blower if anyone comes across one. Thanks again. Roger

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That yellow stuff is great. I brought the blower in the garage and warmed it up to about 60 degrees, applied the snot, (it does look like it) and let it set for 20 minutes. I applied the gaskets and with some finger pressure they laid flat and stuck like they had been on there for years. Slid the blower in and had it tightened up in 15 minutes. And to think how I fought the other one. It was around +40 F today so I cranked it using the #2 diesel in the tank. I'm happy to report it fired up and ran good. Thanks to all whom gave advice and clued me in on the 3M adhesive. It will be in my tool box from now on. I'm still in need of a 3-53 blower if anyone comes across one. Thanks again. Roger
Don't have any blowers but have some nice new bearings I believe they are main bearings, thrust washers and cam bushings. Would need to look at the box and check part numbers to be sure. Price very negotiable as these were left over from an inframe job I did on a genset at someplace I will not mention:D. I could not let them just sit on the bench knowing there was a 0% chance anyone there would have the faintest idea what they were.

Old-iron-gets first refusal but the offer is open to anyone who can pay shipping and make it worth my effort to drop them in the mail. I can supply numbers and pictures if needed. But right now I'm too lazy to go out in the garage to look!

While I'm at it anyone do a bit of work on old Cummins engines? I have an oil cooler test jig for pressure testing the removable oil cooler bundles. It make testing them a fast and easy job. Fits two different diameter bundles and I believe three different lengths. Slide two large caps on either end of the bundle and set in holder with large bobby pins to hold it together and plug in air. Toss it in a bucket of water and your done. Pictures available for that too.

Found a picture online of a similar cooler test tool. Mine does not have the plate shown below the two round aluminum disks but other wise very similar. And NO I'm not asking anywhere near that much!

http://tool-xpress.com/store/product/apex-oil-cooler-test-fixture-m20113/

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Ok, now that thats done, lets go back fishing!!!!

Thats the plan. Monday is the goal. Hope fishing is a little more active this time. Only caught 21 total last time for the threee of us with only 8 big enough to keep. Still nice and peaceful in the icehouse, fun to get away from it all. We did not even make it to the Igloo, the portable tavern set up omn the ice each winter. You can fish thru the floor while you have a tody or two.