• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

290M Clark Michigan scrapers

980C

Occupation
Truck Driver
Serv, theres a contractor out of Fargo, North Dakota that has a fleet of about 20 of these, give or take a couple. Some pull two pans. Some are out fitted with sheepsfoot wheels, some are just used for disking. I wish I had some pictures. They were used this summer to build up approchs for a 6 lane over pass, 750,000 yards . Had a 400,000 or more yard borrow pit. Wish I had pics they were quite impressive when they all got going. Took them about from April to August to build it up.

I was just going to post about this, but you beat me to it! You're right, they are a quite impressive operation to watch.

Tractor5010

Occupation
mechanic/dirt contractor
Serv, You had mentioned someone using these 290M tractors for brush rolling near Laredo, TX. I think Lloyd Ritchie had mentioned this application when I had visited with him last summer and I was wondering if it was still being used for that. Also was wondering if any changes had been made to the torque converter. I purchased a 290M a couple of years ago and am looking to expand it's applications. I am well pleased with it so far, works great for taking out trees and digging ponds. Sometimes I wonder if I'll need a lock-up converter for brush rolling or root ripping.

surfer-joe

Be a more comfortable ride without a lockup clutch. Less lurching and being tossed about. The MRS 110's had lockup convertors and I used to run with them locked out. Cat 600's were the same way, locked in they were a rough ride, especially with the 9-speed tranny.

Tractor5010

Occupation
mechanic/dirt contractor
Thanks Surfer-Joe. I do like the smooth power transfer of the torque converter, and as of now, no matter how hard I work it, overheating has not been an issue.

surfer-joe

The 290 shouldn't have much trouble overheating nor would a 280 Cat. The 110's overheated all the time. Course, we used to pull the rocker covers and tweak the injectors on them so that instead of about 200 horsepower they put out about 300. Smoked like crazy. The bigest problem I ever had with Clark transmissions was the tiny little clutch packs they installed. No life to them at all.

Tractor5010

Occupation
mechanic/dirt contractor
I'm not familiar with the 110's but the Clark 8000 tranny in the 290m is rated, according to Clark, up to 550hp. I've turned up my Cummins from 350 to 420hp so I'll see how it holds up. The guys I talked to before buying mine called them "bulletproof". Thanks for info. Something to think about.

Someguy

I'm not familiar with the 110's but the Clark 8000 tranny in the 290m is rated, according to Clark, up to 550hp. I've turned up my Cummins from 350 to 420hp so I'll see how it holds up. The guys I talked to before buying mine called them "bulletproof". Thanks for info. Something to think about.

Torque kills transmissions more than power. How much torque does your Cummins put out ?

Does the Clark tractor have any suspension ?

Tractor5010

Occupation
mechanic/dirt contractor
As far as I know the factory rating for the small cam Cummins is about 1000 ft/lbs. My best guess for mine now is 1200. Not as much as new engines advertise. As far as suspension, there is none. The operator station isn't isolated either. If it's cold the ride is really rough until the tires warm up.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Question for Serv

Serv, since you are in the tire business, I have a question. Do you know if anybody still makes a 21.00-25 tire?
More to the point, is there a modern size that crosses to this?
I may have asked you before, if so, pardon.
I got my DW10 close to home and it set me to thinking about the poor rear tires again.
If anybody knows of a tire vs rim sizing chart, please let me know.
Alan627b AT hotmail.com

Serv

Serv, You had mentioned someone using these 290M tractors for brush rolling near Laredo, TX. I think Lloyd Ritchie had mentioned this application when I had visited with him last summer and I was wondering if it was still being used for that. Also was wondering if any changes had been made to the torque converter. I purchased a 290M a couple of years ago and am looking to expand it's applications. I am well pleased with it so far, works great for taking out trees and digging ponds. Sometimes I wonder if I'll need a lock-up converter for brush rolling or root ripping.

Yes, Ray Parton owns the brush rolling setup in Encinal, TX. Here are some pics of the setup from clark290m.com

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

photo_6.jpg

Serv

Serv, since you are in the tire business, I have a question. Do you know if anybody still makes a 21.00-25 tire?
More to the point, is there a modern size that crosses to this?
I may have asked you before, if so, pardon.
I got my DW10 close to home and it set me to thinking about the poor rear tires again.
If anybody knows of a tire vs rim sizing chart, please let me know.
Alan627b AT hotmail.com

I'm not familiar with that size being there aren't any end users of that size in my area. I only pick up scrap tires that are generated in my territory. There are many tires with a 25" wheel size though. Some general dimensions (hight x width) will help find a close modern size.

windrow

I have run all sorts of types of m290's. Quite the evil machines. An employer i once worked for had them lots of them. @20+ he put big cam cummins engine in them. 60 series detroits. ect some upto 600 hp. you have to watch the egt though dont let it get past @1000 but its easy to do. he had dual tractor tire configs on them, big float tire configs.Push pulls. Even a lockup converter for the trans.(kicks Butt). i have run the dual 20yrd pans he has as well. he has even put tracks on them (like a case quad track) I personaly wish they had more than gears 4 forward. i mean with lockup on 600hp in fourth gear= 45+mph kinda scary in a articulating machine. but digging in first is painfully slow and second is sometimes more than the motor will handle knowhat i mean. fuel and hydro tanks are in dumb but i suppose necceary places. also filling up the trans is somthing to be desired and when the trans is cold there almost always noisy. the transmissions should be checked often as the levels change alot with expansion. check wheelbearings from time to time, kinda a weakspot. if you ned parts or advice let me know and i can put u in touch with him. good luck

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Clark made an 8 speed 8000 transmission. Used a Hi/low forward clutch. 1st gear would be 1st speed clutch/Low forward clutch, 2nd speed would be 1st speed clutch/high forward and so on. Used a hydraulic shift valve on the top of the transmission operated by a couple of different hydraulic shift levers. Gave a much better choice of speed Vs. power requirements. Was used in some 380C rubber tired dozers.

Tractor5010

Occupation
mechanic/dirt contractor
Windrow thanks for the information. Sounds like your employer tryed everything I've thought about, but haven't done. Would be interesting to talk to him sometime. I do have a wheel hub seal leaking and I hope it's not a bearing issue. Looked at a 280B wheel dozer once that had a 8 speed Clark tranny, but don't know the series. Been fighting some really soft ground this spring and the weight of the 290 makes getting stuck easy. Dry hard dirt works really good.

catdw20

Great machines

We own one that has brought in enough money for our business to keep us going year to year. It's big, looks like a dinosaur, and so powerful!

ts-24 frank

Occupation
retired trucker-part time bus driver
clark mich scraper

I never ran one of these machines tho I have seen them around in both civilian and military versions. My understanding is that they were not too dependable with a lot of drivetrain problems. If anyone could screw up a good basic machine, it's the military. But the availability trouble is one of the main reasons the Army switched to the Cat 830M's.

hi guys; you are right on both counts, i was in the engineers 330th we had both the clarks and the cat's single engine scrapers in the early 1970's could not read much the id plates were all painted over, you know the army, they were always breaking down, and the clarks had a lousy turning radius and the steering wheel would stick on the return to center, when the mechan tried to adjust goviners for more power it blue the injectors, but kept trying, but could not compair to the cat scrapers, and the older d-8's just could not stop i spent most of my time in them and loved every minute, loved how you could reverse the fans and blow the dust away from you. i absolutly loved how the 8's handled and what you could do with them. just couldent get a job with a civilian company to save my life when i got out, man do i miss those days in the seat. ts-24frank