• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

279 D Cat Skid Steer Pivot Bearing

Mitch O

Both the rear pivot bearings won't take grease from either of the two zerk fittings. Is there a procedure removing the bearing to clean out the passage way and get it to accept grease again?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not personally familiar with track type skid steers which I believe this is could you give a better description of this bearing? In the heading it says "steer pivot bearing", having a problem knowing what a "steer pivot bearing" would be on a skid steer machine.

Mitch O

It's a CTL skid steer. The pivot bearing is for the suspension. There's a front and back bearing on each side of the tracks. The rear ones wont take any grease.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Remove the zerk, get a small drill bit, incert into hole and turn it buy hand, use pliers if necessary to clean it out. Check the zerk will take grease and if it's good refit. When you grease it it maybe hard for a start but it should blow any other crud in there out. If all this fails then the track frame will have to be removed.
The zerks on the track frames should be greased DAILY no if's or but's.

ScottAR

I have some success with the oil injector fitting cleaner. Fill with Blaster or similar and tap with hammer to force oil into the joint. I usually repeat the process til oil comes out the pin or whatever. Follow with grease. Worth a shot.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Remove the zerk, get a small drill bit, incert into hole and turn it buy hand, use pliers if necessary to clean it out. Check the zerk will take grease and if it's good refit. When you grease it it maybe hard for a start but it should blow any other crud in there out. If all this fails then the track frame will have to be removed.
The zerks on the track frames should be greased DAILY no if's or but's.

Not on track loaders but one thing I have found to work on many other greased pivots that have not been properly greased and now refuse to accept grease is either fuel oil or 10 weight oil in a grease gun. Works best if you remove fitting from machine and coupler from the gun and connect hose directly to the grease port.

The fuel oil or thin oil will often soften the dirt and dried grease enough to let it move out.

And as Tones says "Grease Every Day"! I don't care what some maintenance manual says grease everyday. That means even if you only run it for two hours! And my preference is at the end of shift to push out the crap before it hardens over night!

DIYDAVE

My ASV RC30 Has had "em freeze up, several times. What I find works, is to remove the zerk, pull out any dried up grease, then, instead of putting the zerk back, thread in a short nipple of 1/8" pipe, with a coupler and a thread in plug, on top of the coupler. Then every time you walk past the machine, spray the coupler full of Kroil, then put the plug back in. It once took 6 weeks, to work, but that Kroil has always eaten its way through the dried up grease. You can smell it, when it starts to seep out, too. Once Kroil goes through, grease will, too. As others have said, Keep it Greased!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Have fun. Most times you've gotta jack it up and slide the track frames out so you can drill out the grease ports completely. I've pressured those suckers up with a porta power before and they still wouldn't clear out. Gotta keep them greased often or the grease hardens up/mixes with dirt and mud.