• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2015 Hino 258 RPM run away

redline808

Thanks for the update. Glad you figured it out. I’m interested to find out if your fuel economy increases.
FYI. That was not the fix.....Did the same thing in the next rain. Turns out water leaked onto the harness plug on the passenger side. That plug was associated with the TPS and pedal. Dried the plug and used dielectric grease on all connections. Good to go now.

redline808

Hi redline808 do you know what all you unplugged? If you don’t mind me asking I’m having the same problem right now
Under the dash on the passenger side is a black box. That is the bulk head and all the harness connections are in there. The main harness enters from the top of the box from behind the dash. water leaks from the windshield and onto the harness, then runs down the wires and soaks the connectors. The largest connector, which is also the worst one to access is likely flooded and is causing the runaway RPM issue. I noted water also get into the TCM that is behind the plastic dash panel on the passenger side. The one that all your passengers grab onto thinking its a handle and it pulls the whole dash panel off..... I'm sure everyone has had that happen LOL. Anyways the water starts corrosion on the TCM board. Hope this helps you!

MikeMike258

Under the dash on the passenger side is a black box. That is the bulk head and all the harness connections are in there. The main harness enters from the top of the box from behind the dash. water leaks from the windshield and onto the harness, then runs down the wires and soaks the connectors. The largest connector, which is also the worst one to access is likely flooded and is causing the runaway RPM issue. I noted water also get into the TCM that is behind the plastic dash panel on the passenger side. The one that all your passengers grab onto thinking its a handle and it pulls the whole dash panel off..... I'm sure everyone has had that happen LOL. Anyways the water starts corrosion on the TCM board. Hope this helps you!
Do you know name for which harness it is or the the name of the large connector that you said could be soaked I’m calling around for it and I’m getting asked which harness and connector thanks for you help

redline808

Do you know name for which harness it is or the the name of the large connector that you said could be soaked I’m calling around for it and I’m getting asked which harness and connector thanks for you help
I don't quite understand who your calling and for what your calling them for?

Shorty_ntd

Hey guys I’ve been hunting a similar issue with my FM Hino 2004 with the 1J motor. After multiple attempts I’ve finally found my issue. The heater core had a leak and coolant was dripping on the main wiring harness connectors. The plug in the picture is for an external hand throttle for a garbage truck and it had coolant residue in the plug causing a resistance between the red and green wire making the engine rev up at idle. Hope this info helps someone IMG_3998.jpeg