• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2008 Kenworth T300

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have owned 4 4000 series Allison's over the past few years and they performed very well. 2 in dump trucks and 2 in roll-off applications, all with 400+ hp. One was a Mack tri-axe that regularly grossed 80K GVW (which is legal in Alabama on secondary roads) and pulled a 55K tag hauling a 315, 953 and smaller stuff.

The truck performed very well. What surprised me was the efficiency of a trans that only had 6 gears. It worked very well off-road and would do 70+ mph on the highway pulling a 953. NOT that I advocate that kind of speed in that kind of rig but it will do it.:cool2

My former work area was urban with a lot of stop and go traffic and that is where the Allison excelled. I am a fan of the Allison trans and probably wouldn't buy another heavy truck without one.

Now I'll conclude that I'm not a trucker just an earthmover. I want a truck that is easy to operate and get's the job done. Just my $.02 after inflation..:cool:

amunderdog

That is a verynice truck. Congratulations:)

The KW's i drove were hard to get into and out of. Would not want to spend a day climing in and out.
But they were very nice and would really cut a trailer into a hole.
For you auto fans a Super 10 (and there are probably others like it) takes all the work out of a manual trans.
I live in the hills, so i would not be to keen on an auto trans.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
How's the truck doing for ya' Tom?

TomG

How's the truck doing for ya' Tom?

Its great its perfect for what we are using it for, we hauled about 120yards of loam with it yesterday and it did fine. Its actually really easy and nice to drive. It is a little under powered but it is fine for us. I could see why a normal trucking company would not want the truck. Also its very easy to load because of the lower profile with out Bobcat T300, A300 and E50 mini excavator so that is a big plus. Also I have been told by a lot of people that it is the lightest tri-axle they have ever seen. Even though its only rated for 67,800lbs we can haul 22T so that throws a lot of people off. (Weighs 22,000lbs empty)

markshr151

Automatics have a bad rap because we all have cursed our autos in our one-ton trucks but what if your skid steer had to be shifted five times to pick up or Carry a load. Many years ago I replaced a 5x4 ( witch I knew how to shift ) with a 5 speed Allison the result was like adding 100 hp. On top of that in the sand my little tandem dump truck with 18 yds was now passing the Mack's in forward and reverse. I also got good service and economy. When I sold the truck I told the new owner/not driver that the trans was fool proof but not jerk/idiot proof, he proved me right when the driver returning to the pit down shifted into first at 60 mph and broke more stuff then the truck was worth. What comes to my mind about your truck would be is this a converted tractor?

i

Last edited:

TomG

What comes to my mind about your truck would be is this a converted tractor?

That's also what I thought. To be honest with you I couldn't tell you either way. Part of me thinks it is because of how light it is, but part of me thinks that it is not because it looks like if was set up to be a dump from the beginning.

Speedfill

Congrats on the truck TomG! It's a beauty.

It's funny how you guys from U.S. think that 330hp are so weak...I've driven a 12 wheels congrete truck that was legal to haul 35T with a 4 speeds auto Allison trans and a Cummins 390hp and it did the job very well.The jobsites were mainly in downtown Montreal with alot of stops, light and traffic , but it did well and i've had even passed many more powerfull trucks due to this auto trans/engine combo!
On highways it was really pleasant to drive and had no problem to reach the speed limits.
For another company, i've had to drive a 6 wheels GMC 6500 Cab over with a 210hp and Allison 4 speeds trans too.The truck was used as a service truck that was hauling all the tools for a paving team, plus around 1000+ liters of water, 900 liters of fuel and a trailer with a Bomag BW120AD asphalt roller...And it does the job really well.

Anyways, i wish you alot of fun and good times with your new toy!!!!
Phil

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That's also what I thought. To be honest with you I couldn't tell you either way. Part of me thinks it is because of how light it is, but part of me thinks that it is not because it looks like if was set up to be a dump from the beginning.

I would say that is a "factory" tri-axle. Factory being is was a cab-chassis that the original dealer put the box and pusher axle on. The T300 is a medium duty truck that can be beefed up to a higher weight range.

Does it have tractor-trailer air valves in the dash?

TomG

Does it have tractor-trailer air valves in the dash?

No It does not, it doesn't even have a trailer hitch, or plate. But we are planning on getting one installed, we will run electric break hook ups as all out trailers are smaller and have electric breaks.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
No It does not, it doesn't even have a trailer hitch, or plate. But we are planning on getting one installed, we will run electric break hook ups as all out trailers are smaller and have electric breaks.

Rest assured, it's not a converted tractor as it would have the tractor and trailer air valves. (I seriously doubt anyone would have went through the expense of removing it on such a new truck).:)

Last edited:

TomG

Rest assured, it's not a converted tractor as with would have the tractor and trailer air valves. (I seriously doubt anyone would have went through the expense of removing it on such a new truck).:)

Excellent point I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the reply.