• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2003 f550 axle

Old Doug

I am looking for a right front 4x4 axle shaft. Ford made 2 different length axles i need the longer one . I tried Ford they said no longer made couldn't find one. Parts # 4cbz3219aa . Someone replaced the original axle with a short one . It engages the spider gear a 1/4 inch and stripped the splines . Anyone have any ideals junkyards don't like these its not a truck or a pickup.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none

Maybe this? You might want to look into it a little closer as the description says bare outer shaft only, it could be the hub side, sounds like you need the diff side.

I think your problem is that the F450 and F550 have a wider track width, so the part you need is 450/550 only.

Old Doug

I think your problem is that the F450 and F550 have a wider track width, so the part you need is 450/550 only.
I havent figured it out but that seems to make sense but they show it could use ether axle on the F550? I ask the parts guy at Midway Ford trucks in KC Mo and he couldnt figure it out. I would think if its because the F450 / F550 were wider that they would be easy to get. You would think as many of this rigs that were built they would be someone building parts for them. I called Midway back to see if there was a way to tell what axle they had so when i went to the junk yard i could find one like if something in the vin but he said no. One parts guy said something about the length had to do with the gear ratio that dosen't make sense this one has 4.88.

Old Doug

The junk yard 3 miles from me thinks they may have one but dosent want to fight the mud to look at it .They also dont like people in there yard ?
That number is different than anything i have run across? I may call them and have then take a picture while there measuring it. I was also told by ford the axle was a Dana 50. I need to look it over to see if i can find out. One of these places said they had the right one i ask about sending it back if it wasnt ? They said i coudnt send it back??

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
The early super duty pickups had a Dana 50 solid front axle, they went to a Dana 60 for the '05 model year when the front suspension went to coils.

I think the F450/550 had a Dana 60 even in the early models, but I am not sure on that.