• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1999 International 4900 with DT466E Oil Usage...help please

walkerv

If you aren't sure what your doing 550$ is a fair rate plus's the seals. They aren't terrible to replace it's mostly a pain getting to them.make sure your cab is clean as the doghouse will have to come out . If this doesn't at least slow down your oil loss then it will be an injector leaking internally as stated by someone else in your post. There is no way to tell which one it is doing it you will be forced to replace all 6 of them. I have good luck with alliant power aftermarket and bad luck with OEM remans

mekanik

The fuel transfer pump has a seal around the plunger that runs against the cam in the HPOP.
If this seal leaks oil into the pump your engine will use oil. Looking at your pump in the pictures
it looks like it's been there for a while. The check valves in the pump do wear out over time.
It might be a good idea to replace it or put a kit in the pump first.

There is a high pressure rail bolted to the left side of the cylinder head. It's a manifold that
supplies high pressure oil and fuel to the injectors. It's common for the gasket to deteriorate
and leak externally. It is quite possible that the gasket is leaking allowing high pressure oil to
mix with the fuel. I's not a big job to replace the gasket.

There are 3 O-rings and a steel backup ring on the injectors. High pressure oil is fed to the
injector between the 2 top O-rings. It's usually the top O-ring that fails letting high pressure oil
escape under the valve cover causing a hard start no start condition.

The oil pressure can reach 3000 psi under full load and is around 800 psi at idle. The top O-ring
fails where the gap is on the steel backup ring. I have never seen the middle O-ring fail which
would allow oil to mix with the fuel. I would still expect a hard start no start if the middle O-ring failed
especially when the engine is hot.

I would recommend replacing or kitting the transfer pump and replacing the high pressure rail
gasket before having the injector seals replaced. You should be able to both jobs yourself.
Cleanliness is very important when when working on fuel systems. There is a banjo fitting on
the rear of the high pressure rail where the return line to the fuel tank connects. Make sure and
disconnect it before you try to pull the rail out.

Terry

Price

Thanks.

The truck sometimes will turn over several times on the first start of the day, especially when it has not been started in several days. I thought this could be air getting in fuel line somewhere. However, after the initial start, it starts fine all day.

I believe I will change the fuel transfer pump and change the rail gasket.

After taking the banjo fitting loose and removing bolts the rail should pull out easily or will take some effort?

mekanik

The ECM and some fuel lines and an oil line will have to come of first.
There is only a gasket under the high pressure rail you should have seals
for the fuel lines as well and maybe new seal rings for the banjo fitting.
Once the rail is unbolted it lifts our easily.

The fuel rail O-rings in the above picture are for the newer engines that have the rail under the valve cover.

Terry

Price

Thanks. Trying to find transfer pump online instead of buying from dealer. Most pumps online in the $50 to $100 range appear to be older and without packaging. One had mfg. date of 2008. Part is listed as new but would I be better off buying one from diesel shop for $180? Just trying to avoid problems.

Last edited:

Price

Fuel transfer pump did not solve the problem. Down to installing new fuel/oil rail gasket and/or replacing o-ring seals on injectors.

walkerv

Fuel transfer pump did not solve the problem. Down to installing new fuel/oil rail gasket and/or replacing o-ring seals on injectors.
I wouldn't change that gasket unless it's leaking all over your engine go for the injectors o rings they are a common issue

Price

I had the injector orings changed and the engine is still using oil. If I drive the truck all day it will use about 1.5 gallons of oil. So I am left with only one option that I know of and that is to change all the injectors since, if I am correct, there is no way to accurately test the injectors.

Who would you recommend to buy the injectors from? I see in the above post from Walkerv that Alliant Performance injectors would be better than OEM. Somebody had mentioned Pensacola Diesel to me. Does anyone have any experience buying from them?

Thanks

Price

IMG_2339.JPG Correction to above post. I had not changed the high pressure rail gasket so I decided to do that. After changing gasket engine is still using oil. So now I am down to changing out injectors unless there is something I am missing.

Picture is of rail before cleaning and reinstalling.

Price

Injector prices are $135 per injector to rebuild and $250 per injector(Alliant Power) to buy new.
Is it worth paying the price difference to get "new" rather than rebuilt?

walkerv

that is a tough one to answer do you have a fuel shop that can actually rebuild those injectors for you and test them ? or is 135 price of a reman injector and who is it from ?i personally would go new if you plan on having the truck for a good long while just my 2 cents

Price

There is a fuel shop that can rebuild them but they cannot test for internal leakage as they us the same color fluid for fuel and oil. The rebuild cost is $135. Can buy what they are calling "new" Alliant Injectors for $250 each. Not sure if these are really new are just factory reman. Im thinking factory reman but I see a lot of positive comments about Alliant injectors so I am leaning going that route.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Guys, I'm just a pencil-pushing lurker, but the OP may want to communicate with ThePumpGuySC, who is a regular contributor to HEF.

Neill

f311fr1

Check your air drier and air tank drain for engine oil. My DT466E air compressor was pumping oil to the air drier and air tank. I have a thread further up in Trucks.