• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1998 JD 690E LC no throttle no hydraulics

Recently purchased a 98 690E LC with a waratah processor. Spent the first day going through everything, greasing, tightening track pads, checking fluids, etc. Ran it for maybe 2 hours, all functions worked great, engine runs good at all rpms, hydraulics were smooth. Next day, I ran it for 3-3.5 hours with no problems at all. Then, while in motion, it idled down to 900-1000, still in "P", engine idle down button off, and lost hydraulic functions completely. Shut the machine down, fired it back up, and it worked fine again for maybe 5 more minutes. Then it did the same thing. Checked all obvious things, I replaced every fuse on the panel as a couple of them had broken/brittle plastic, checked wiring at the rpm speed actuator.

From starting it cold, it won't idle up still but the hydraulics will work for about 30 seconds and then quit again.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF DarkTimber;)!

it idled down to 900-1000, still in "P"
Do you have any hydraulics in "I" mode when the issue occurs? Do you have any stalling or just no hydraulics?

From starting it cold, it won't idle up still but the hydraulics will work for about 30 seconds and then quit again.
Engine speed buttons still work with the LED changing at this point?

Do you have any hydraulics in "I" mode when the issue occurs? Do you have any stalling or just no hydraulics?

I sorted out the hydraulic issue. The machine is facing downhill right now, and the hydraulic oil was just a smidge too low. I got it at the right level now, so I have hydraulics even just at idle. It'll move around some without stalling, as long as you don't do more than one function at a time elsewise you'll stall it.

Whatever position you put the engine speed at, the corresponding light will illuminate, sane with the hydraulic function buttons.

Also, if you manually run the throttle everything works as it should. I'm hoping the engine speed actuator isn't the issue since that $4800 from JD. Maybe engine speed sensor?

A good possibility. Worth a look.
Problem solved! The solenoid on the back of the throttle speed actuator had a broken terminal. That specific solenoid is $1600 through JD, so we dug the plastic out from around the remaining bit of the terminal and soldered on a new post. Works great now! And managed a simple free solution to an otherwise expensive problem. Now to just chase down all the hydraulic leaks...

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Problem solved! The solenoid on the back of the throttle speed actuator had a broken terminal. That specific solenoid is $1600 through JD, so we dug the plastic out from around the remaining bit of the terminal and soldered on a new post. Works great now! And managed a simple free solution to an otherwise expensive problem. Now to just chase down all the hydraulic leaks...
Good job.