• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1972 case 580b shuttle overfull w/drain plug out.

sharpredvette

The shuttle fluid is overfull so I took the drain plug out and only a pint or so came out. It does dribble out very slow. It is still overfull with plug out. About 1 1/2 on the dip stick. This makes no sense .Any idea's. Thanks in advance. I have had lot's of help from everyone and I really thank you all.

onemank6

there are 2 drain plugs for the shuttle one under the torque converter and one further back put a bucket under both and remove them both..........

sharpredvette

second drai plug

there are 2 drain plugs for the shuttle one under the torque converter and one further back put a bucket under both and remove them both..........

Well I thought I drained the second one when I got the tractor and it had what we call rear end oil 85w. Did i over look a drain, this makes me feel dumb. the shuttle plug i thought is near the front of the shuttle just before the oil pan and the 4spd/rear end plug is under the trans. Your saying that there is 2 shuttle plugs and 1 rear end/trans; 4spd plug. Thanks

sharpredvette

Well I thought I drained the second one when I got the tractor and it had what we call rear end oil 85w. Did i over look a drain, this makes me feel dumb. the shuttle plug i thought is near the front of the shuttle just before the oil pan and the 4spd/rear end plug is under the trans. Your saying that there is 2 shuttle plugs and 1 rear end/trans; 4spd plug. Thanks

I have another question. why would so little fluid come out of the front drain plug and it just dribbles out, would this mean that the screen on the tube is restricted? Hate to bother you all but thanks for the help. I found a diagram of the drive line so this will help. Thanks again.

sharpredvette

I finely got the bottom of the 580b pressure washed and have all 3 drain plugs, the rear plug had a home made skid plate over it. Thanks for the help. Will do some more testing on the shuttle as soon as i get oil levels where they should be and will re post the findings.

onemank6

sharp........It is no bother ask anything you need we like helping if we can ......like you said there are 3 plugs underneath the one furthest back is for your tranny/differential (80-90wt)
the one in the middle and the one in the front is for the shuttle (hy trans oil)....Im not sure why you didnt get much oil out of the front one .....did you get quit a bit fom the middle one???????? im thinking the shuttle holds 16-17 qts....let us know if you need anything and how it turns out......