• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1970 Case Ck580 operator's manual

Tee Wrecks

I can't find my Case ck580 operator's manual. It's black, red and white and gives instructions, fluids, etc. I've been blowing up starter motors and shorting out batteries and I can't figure out why. I have a wire that comes out of a part attached to the exhaust manifold that I believe may be a heater or something and runs to the battery. I can't figure out if it attaches to the positive or negative and a wrong guess will just cost me more money. I apologize for this what to me seems like a stupid question, but what wires go to the battery and what wires (Small ones) go to the starter. I've had them aprt for so long that I can't remember, now (An "old guy" shortcoming, I guess). I'd appreciate any assistance. Thank yo.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Its not on the exhaust manifold, its a preheater on the intake manifold and will be wired through a solenoid. Power is taken off the battery side of the starter solenoid + post, where the battery cable attaches. That is if its a diesel... The small wires that control the solenoid for the heater go to the starter switch so that you can preheat the manifold before cranking the engine. Word of warning, don't use any ether with this feature or BOOM... I'll try to remember to add a scan of the page that shows this setup in the next couple of days.

Tee Wrecks

Thank you. Yes, the INTAKE manifold. Of course. I kind of thought that was correct, but I needed verification from a pro. I really like your project thread. Your rig is beautiful. I would hope that mine might be so nice one day. I'm thinking mine is the same year as yours, but guessed at 1970. I bought it from a young fellow leaving the area and could not take it with him. I'm definitely O.J.T. with this machine. I'm trying to master it without killing myself! LOL. I really have enjoyed the journey, so far. My wife wanted a pond. I told her I would need a bigger shovel, so we dipped into our retirement funds and bought "TeeWrecks" (her nickname for the rig). I can't wait to continue reading your threads.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
I'll get you a wiring diagram later in the week that will show all those connections. Its pretty simple but if someone has 'improved' the wiring, it can be a bit more of a challenge. Thanks for the comments on my old tractor project, just understand that there isn't any pro around this shop. Only old cranky types that won't let a small obstacle beat them. I'm also fortunate to have made friends here and learned a lot from their posts shared a few laughs and received parts I needed. 68 Case and Oneman have been a big help, along with the other regulars here who have steered us down the right path. Dale Weiss of Tractorstuff has given freely of his advice and provided all the correct parts that I needed so far. I highly recommend Dale if you don't already have a reliable supplier. Its a '68 but they didn't change much. I'm held up waiting for a bit warmer weather so I can finish up some painting and assemble the loader arms, fuel tank and other bits. I discovered some stress fractures on the loader arm and cross member and its going out for a sandblast, inspection and a professional welding job. I wanted the repair gussets on the right side redone as they could be a lot nicer looking.
With another spring upon us, I really am missing the machine and need to get on with it soon. When I do, I'll get some good pictures and maybe a Youtube of the initial startup.