• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1969 580CK - Broken Transmission Gears

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
1st bolt you speak of looks like a rivet from the ring gear. I can not recognize that 2nd pin

LukeWilson

I took the powershuttle apart tonight to see if it needed a rebuild. I found a couple issues, but the clutch packs look fine to me. I found a cracked thrust washer, there appears to be a not so nice weld repair to the mainshaft and the 3 split rings that go into the torque tube are a bit chewed up. I don't really like the look of the mainshaft, but I do have a budget and I figure its likely been like this for years.

hEOTFvGl.jpg

vnDvjupl.jpg

hRXLMhMl.jpg

xgiovannix12

Occupation
did you ever figure out that bolt rivet looking thing was from?

LukeWilson

Looks like you might be onto something Tinkerer. Based on the weld repair on the fork, someone has definitely been in there before. The shifter seems to work as it should, but someone may have lost the part and just replaced it instead of going hunting in the gearbox.

I'm hoping to bring my torches out to the lot tomorrow and get that countersunk screw out of the diff bearing plate.

LukeWilson

I had one hell of a time disassembling the rest of the transmission last night. Why the Case engineers thought it was a good idea to use internal snap rings without any circlip holes is beyond me. I also found the infamous fibre thrust washers in the diff.

I have an order coming tomorrow from Dale @ TractorStuff for new axle seals, brake shaft seals, power shuttle metal seals and a thrust washer for the power shuttle. I would really like to get this back together before I forget how it goes...

xgiovannix12

Occupation
I had one hell of a time disassembling the rest of the transmission last night. Why the Case engineers thought it was a good idea to use internal snap rings without any circlip holes is beyond me. I also found the infamous fibre thrust washers in the diff.

I have an order coming tomorrow from Dale @ TractorStuff for new axle seals, brake shaft seals, power shuttle metal seals and a thrust washer for the power shuttle. I would really like to get this back together before I forget how it goes...

them clips are pesky .... took me forever to get one off then back on

LukeWilson

It's been slow going on the assembly, we've gone from a month of rain to 100F heat.

I've got the transmission and diff back together and within tolerance. I have a powershuttle question before I put it back together.
When I took it apart, I found that the 1/16th thrust washers were paired with the 1/8th thrust washers. Has anyone seen this as it's not how it's shown in the parts diagram. In the diagram, it shows the 1/16th washers paired (13) and the 1/8th washers paired (14). When it's assembled this way, it leaves a 1/16th gap between the reverse shuttle half and the large ball bearing. This is where the cracked thrust washer was and i'm wondering if the gap caused this?

M5xqa9hl.jpg

Tinkerer

It should have been assembled exactly as shown in the parts list. Which thrust washer was cracked ? I would replace all of the thrust washers and the bearings that are between them. #11 in the parts diagram. This is when a service manual is priceless.
2017-06-13_153807.png 2017-06-13_153926.png

LukeWilson

Hi Tinkerer,

I do have a service manual, I'm just looking for reassurance that it is in fact correct. I keep finding instances on this machine where parts were assembled incorrectly or missing parts altogether, which is why I'm second guessing everything now. It was one of the 1/8th thrust washers that was cracked, #14 in the diagram. The powershuttle did work when the tractor was running, but I want to make sure it goes back together right this time.

The kit you show seems to contain both a 1/8th washer, a 1/16th washer as well as the thrust bearing. It seems odd that that would package the kits this way as you would need to order 4 kits and have two 1/16th washers and a bearing left over?

Thanks for your help!

LukeWilson

Alright, I think I've finally made some headway. The cause of a much of my concern was the two circlips and splined washers. These had been installed incorrectly and it was throwing off the assembled heights of the clutch hubs. Once I got that straightened out, the washer thicknesses as shown in the service manual would work out. I need to exchange a 1/8th washer for a 1/16th washer and I'll be all set.

I called Dale @ TractorStuff and he was very helpful as usual, he confirmed that the kit does come with a 1/16th washer, a 1/8th washer and a bearing. Only available from Case and is $125USD. I'm going to see if I can source one locally first or even have my machinist make one for less.

After understanding how it was assembled incorrectly, the cracked washer makes a lot more sense. Hopefully this will be the last of the surprises, it's amazing it worked at all.

Thanks for your help guys. More to come in the next couple of days.

Tinkerer

Those washers most likely have a precision thickness. I don't think a machinist could make a duplicate to an NEW OEM one without knowing the measurement. How much wear is on the ones you have now will make a definite difference in the clearance for the bearings. It would be best to get the kit.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Might be able to find a grade 8 fender washer or if you can find a buddy with a surface grinder and magnetic chuck

LukeWilson

I ended up ordering new thrust washers from my local bearing supply, they're a standard size and were $7.50 from Koyo instead of 2 x $188 for the kit from Case.
The tractor is back together now and I tested it without the bull gears in with no issues or strange noises. The axle seals were leaking so I figured I should do them now before I have all the covers on.
Hoping to use a friends press to take to pop the bearings off without destroying them, I'm guessing they've been on there a while. Planning in being back digging by Wednesday or Thursday.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
them clips are pesky .... took me forever to get one off then back on
One somewhat desperate method to get one of those "no-hole" snap rings off is to use a torch to heat the side opposite the opening then while it is still hot use the snap ring pliers to spread it. It should go without saying that this means you will need a new one to reassemble, but sometimes you just have to get mean with things and a couple dollars for a new ring is better than spending hours trying to salvage one.

Just wait till the time you have to remove an internal "no-hole" snap ring with squared off ends! Been there-done that!

xgiovannix12

Occupation
One somewhat desperate method to get one of those "no-hole" snap rings off is to use a torch to heat the side opposite the opening then while it is still hot use the snap ring pliers to spread it. It should go without saying that this means you will need a new one to reassemble, but sometimes you just have to get mean with things and a couple dollars for a new ring is better than spending hours trying to salvage one.

Just wait till the time you have to remove an internal "no-hole" snap ring with squared off ends! Been there-done that!
i got it off somehow I dont remember tho lol Im sure a lot of bad language was involved