• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1968 Case 580CK head gasket??

RadRob

My plan is to fix the steering seal and replace the filter and install the lines correctly and go from there. I did read about the torque tube having that pipe to the rear on some models that had a plug in it. I'll tear into that after I fix the leaks and clean it up some.

RadRob

I just came in from attempting to replace the Hand pump seal and discovered I have a rainbow coming out of my butt.

When I pulled the cover under the steering column to inspect for a leak all I could see was oil dripping down the lines from the hand pump so I assumed that was the leak but today I couldn't get the lines off the pump and had to use a pipe wrench to hold the short extension pipe from spinning so I took off the dash and that made it easy to see. Well I found the transmission pressure guage line laying under the steering column pointed up towards the hand pump so I crank it up and sure enough it's pouring fluid.

I replaced the guages with a different set that has oil, temp and charging and never noticed the trans pressure guage so now I put the old guage back on it and it works so I need to mount it but for now I have it tucked under the left side of the dash and it's visible from the seat.

So I'm gonna eat lunch and go get a tranny filter, swap those lines around and hope for the best.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Nice to get some wins as you go through this. You will get them one at time and it will be good in the long run.

RadRob

I had to order the filter yesterday and I just finished putting it on and swapping the lines. There was no filter in the canister so I guess they took it off after crossing the lines to make it work. I topped her off with fluid and it's got good pressure according to the gauge and it drives fine. I'm gonna put her through the paces today spreading crushed concrete if the rain holds off.

I'll be back because I need to fix the brakes and start rebuilding some cylinders.

Thanks again!!!!

Tinkerer

If there wasn't any filter in the canister you prolly should get a couple more. That new one may be plugged in a very short time. It is amazing someone hooked the lines up backwards and then decided the filter was the problem.

Delmer

I don't always reverse the lines, but when I do I ALWAYS remove the filter. Wouldn't want that junk getting back into the oil, would you?

RadRob

I'm heart broken, she ain't right. I'm getting blow back in the cooling system and when I start it up now with a full radiator, it spits water out. The problem started after i ran it for an hour spreading gravel and I noticed it burped some thick brown rusty crude from the overflow so I let it cool, drained the radiator and flushed it a few times but I'm still getting more gunk and it's still spitting out water from the overflow when I start it with the radiator full. I flushed the radiator when it was out but I guess there's some gunk in the block. It looks like rust mud, really thick and nasty.

I'm keeping an eye on the temp when I use it to make sure I don't mess anything else up.

The good news is the gravel is spread and I also worked on a septic system and she's a beast as long as I don't run her too long to over heat.
This took longer than I thought it should(2 days), I had to find the septic tank to have it pumped out but nobody knew where it was so it was a case of=I think it's here= I finally found it and there's 2, one for the dishwasher and another for the rest of the house. Long story and process but I should have it finished tomorrow. This is a Caddyshack theme chasing gophers.

I don't know how I always get involved in these rabbit hole jobs for my family and do it for free.
20170616_100747.jpg

20170616_100733.jpg

Tinkerer

Remove the thermostat and do a good reverse flush of the engine. Reverse flush the radiator also but separately from the engine. If the crud is that bad you gotta flush it all out, even if you have to do it several times. Radiators are designed to cool clean coolant.

diver

Occupation
retired
Heck my ol 430 case hates water. I cant run it full as it will spit it out as fast as i put it in.. I just do not knot know what keeps it cool cause it sure as heck is not a full radiator.LOL I have been thinking about tearing into to it 4 years ago and i have spread over 4000 yards of fill since then .. My ol case looks like junk , hates water but starts and runs like a dream.. Oh it also seems to dislike hydraulic oil also.lol

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I ran my 580 B without a thermostat for 5 years because every time I tried sticking one in it used water. Never had a mins. problem without one.

diver

Occupation
retired
Heck if i tighten down my cap you can watch the radiator expand till the cap blows open so i leave it loose lol, I also get oil in my radiator so i know something in the ol gal is giving up lol

Alan R McRae

I have it tore down to replace it but I'm not sure the last guy used the right gasket. According to the book I should have fire rings and this one doesn't and seems to be oversized around the sleeves. It seems like the gasket is the same outer size as the sleeve and with the gasket in place it looks like it would leak. The gasket in there has the metal crush ring around the sleeve but it just doesn't look right to me.

I hope someone can help before I order the wrong one.

Alan R McRae

On the 188D, most studs go right through to the water jacket. When I got mine back from the machine shop, I used a tap to clean all the threads in the block and applied sealer to each one as it was threaded back. A couple could have been threaded down past where they were supposed to be, so watch the length above the block to have enough for the nut to fully go on.
Had those studs already been removed? Should i bother to remove them and use sealant if they haven't been altered?