• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1965 P&H Stik-Clam.

Delmer

So you're in The Rapids, I'm real curious where that thing was sitting? And what are you planning to do with it?

If you can find a pic of the original trailer to post, as long as it didn't get scrapped, it probably didn't get too far and it may turn up.

Delmer, yes I'm close to Wisconsin Rapids. Plans as of right now are to get it up and running and potentially restore it. I should have the engine running this weekend sometime, just waiting for the carb kit to come in.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
There was a little unit like that at the Rock River Threshery at Edgerton, Wi. last labor day. Not sure if it was the exact same but the photos sure look like that one did.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
This was probably the FIRST fully hydrolic MINI-EXCAVATOR ever offered commercially to the public. Most people thought bigger was better. It wasn't until the 1980's that the Mini-Excavator was recognized as really practical. They could go where big stuff could not, and minimize hand labor. Their design inspired the latest generation of machines and almost ALL copy the features they designed, without the use of computer aided design. I have copies of the engineering drawings. Those guys in the pre-computer age really did wonders!

Actually I saw a lot of small equipment in West Germany in the mid 70's. I was actually amazed at what they had and thought that it was pretty smart to have equipment that matched the job. Didn't start seeing small stuff in the US until some time in the 80's.

Very cool little thing!

Rick

Digger Ron

This is an amazing machine for its time. Europeans and Asians saw the value of small machines before US. The Stik Clam has a few weaknesses that can be compensated for if you know ahead of time what will fail and why. Modern CADD can "test" the weaknesses before even making a part. The basic concept of the Stik Clam has not been improved by a lot. The backhoe configuration has some advantages but fails to be able to do a few things that the Stik Clam can do, and vice/versa.

What a machine is worth is determined by 1.) what an owner is willing to sell for AND 2.) what someone is willing to pay. If an owner will not sell at any price, it cannot be bought. Sometimes that person can be induced to sell if offered enough, and if the person buying convinces the owner it will be cared for and appreciated. If you have to spend a LOT of money and effort to restore something the value to sell will be FAR LESS than what has been invested, even at a fairly high sales price.

I am located at Helenville, WI, not interested in selling, but willing to help in any way anyone that is restoring their own Stik Clam. Also interested in seeing other people's machines.

Digger Ron

You're KILLING ME!
I have to be out of town and it will be impossible to attend the auction.
Looks like a very good machine as original non-restored.
Hopefully there will be more than one person at the auction that appreciates this special machine so it gets a price it deserves.
I would like it if there would be a "REGISTRY" of existing Stik-Clams, since only 106 were produced.

RON

bigshow

IMG_0251.JPG I've had a Stik Clam for a few years that I bought from Q-Ball in 2014. I completely took it apart for restoration pending the location of a good motor. After much searching I have finally found a motor for it. The machine I have originally came with a VG4D motor so the tin work would not fit. I'll pick the motor up on Sunday and go from there.

cat10ken

I found and bought a stik-clam this summer. It was located about 10 miles east of Necedah, Wis. Got it running without too much trouble and walked it up on a trailer to bring home. Needs some TLC but most functions work. Might be for sale.

bigshow

I lost the contact info for cat10ken and Digger ron, if either of you see this, can you please email me. I've been working on my Stik-Clam and need some parts. I could definitely use blueprints, an operators manual, anything like that would be hugely helpful. Thanks!

Digger Ron

I lost the contact info for cat10ken and Digger ron, if either of you see this, can you please email me. I've been working on my Stik-Clam and need some parts. I could definitely use blueprints, an operators manual, anything like that would be hugely helpful. Thanks!
Hi
Since my last reply, I had to retire & downsize. I have moved to Ozark County in Southern Missouri. I am still working on restoring my Stik Clam. I have only one more item to complete before I can begin opperating it. The swivel "O" rings were disintegrated & as soon as I get the replacement "O" rings I will use it on our Daughter's "tiny" home. You can contact me at rdcass@tds.net

I plan on making videos when I dig the 200 foot trench for water line & dig for a septic system. RON