• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1928 Western Wheeled Road Grader

What type of oil should I use for the steering box (sun gear style) / for the engine and trans (model aa 1928) and for the rear diff mack

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We're all waiting for the video of the first run!!!! :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
What type of oil should I use for the steering box (sun gear style) / for the engine and trans (model aa 1928) and for the rear diff mack

I'm sure you can't use any type of oil that it's not seen before, cept maybe synthetic!!!! I'd use simple 80-90W gear oil in the trans and rear diff. On the engine, I might consider non-detergent. If that's what it's ran all it's life and you switch to a high detergent oil it may drink it like water..... If you can see inside the engine thru the fill cap for example, and it looks to be completely sludged up, it's had non-detergent.

I can see the crank threw the oil fill tube, looks good, drained oil added 30 w oil and marvel mist in spark plug holes. Found lots of sludge in the trans and diff. Flushed diff, removed trans shifter and side plate to clean, then re installed. shifts threw all 4 plus revers and diff turns free. I have 10w30 in both for now. 80-90 sounds good to me, thanks