• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1928 Western Wheeled Road Grader

Found a 1928 western wheeled road grader, still has red paint and still works. I cant find another one like it. Do I have the only one?

Delmer

No, I'll bet there are many around that still work and are mostly original. That doesn't mean they have their pictures online. They're a pretty functional piece of equipment that's expensive to replace, so they tend to stick around longer than some equipment.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
1. Put cursor in reply block and type message if needed.
2. Lower right corner, click on blue "Upload a File" icon.
3. Pick file or picture, click "open" at bottom of screen.
4. Wait for pic to load, the click on blue "thumbnail" or "Full Image". I used full image.
5. Click blue "Post Reply" at bottom of post.
20160912_173016 (1280x720).jpg

still figuring out the pic upload thing not to good hope it worked out

Attachments

• IMG_20150531_153628.jpg
    IMG_20150531_153628.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20150531_140649.jpg
    IMG_20150531_140649.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Now you got it figured out!!!!

Very cool machine!!!! First one I've ever saw. Is your goal to get it running???

Post more pics and keep us informed of any work you do on this machine!!!! Nice find!!!!

Yes I am working on making it run. Spent lots and lots of hours cleaning dirt and rust since these photos. All the controls function, motor trans and diff rotate. I need to rebuild the starter, gen and wiring for it to run. Thanks for the compliment and the help, I am a mechanic buy trade, so this internet thing is ruff!!!

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
The blade lift mechanism is unusual. I've saw that on "scissor" automotive jacks, but never on a grader!!!!

We'll take all the pics you want to post.

Don't worry about the Internet learning curve. None of us knew how to do it the first time either!!!! :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Is the adjuster up and to the right of the steering wheel for the scarifier?? Looks like maybe it should have a "wheel" and it's broken?
Very unusual.

My ole Cat has the bracketry for a scarifier. I'd love to find one to add to it. :)

Yes it is for a scarifier and the steering wheel is broken but still goes up and down, just don't have the teeth.
I also thought the scissor was different it has original paint. I believe it was more efficient but companies went to hydro in 1929-30.
love the feed back, very inspiring, thanks

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
CAT was still building mechanical lift graders well into the 1970s.

Doesn't appear that my old Grader ever had a scarifier. But it was built with the attachment points included on the front stem.

Delmer

I was assuming it was a pull type grader in my first comment. I doubt there's many like yours left in that good of shape.

Teeth aren't that hard to weld back on to a gear, then shape with a grinder. Probably plenty of videos to show how to do it if you want to go that route.