• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

12r22.5 on 8.25 rim

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will end up with pretty significant center of tread wear, may cause sidewall stressing under load.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Steer axle or somewhere else? If not steer, watch pressures until you arrive at a pressure that promotes even wear.

If steer axle, again watch pressure and wear on edges of tire. May have to have alignment adjusted a bit. I had a couple trucks with 14,600 front axles. Had 12R24.5's on them, standard width wheel. Once I got the alignment right and appropriate pressure based on load I could get pretty good life out of them. Wouldn't bother me at all, I know dump truck guys around here running 315's on standard width 22.5 rim with pretty good tire life results.

crane operator

A 8.25 in aluminum is only a 7,400lb load rating, a 9.00 will get you 10,000lbs. But I don't think the 12r would have more load rating than a standard rim? I went with a 9.00 rim on 315's on my steer axle because I didn't want a DOT man to read that capacity on the rim.

Canadian_digger

Seen on continental and Michelin web site that you can mount their 12r22.5 on either 8.25 or 9" rims. I will be mounting them on 8.25 as 9' aluminum Alcoa rims are over $600 each.