• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

12H pics

bigblueox

here are a couple shots i took on my home of a 12H arriving at a job near my house.

Attachments

• P1010294.jpg
    P1010294.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 727
  • P1010295.jpg
    P1010295.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 727

Lashlander

Cool pics!:thumbsup
I don't think I've ever seen a lowboy with those wheels on it before.

Last edited:

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Cool pics,

We have a few lowboys just like that one. Just out of curiousity, who's grader is that? I can see a decal by the 12h, but can't read it. Thanks for sharing.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Cool pics!:thumbsup
I don't think I've ever seen a lowboy with those wheels on it before.

Those are pretty popular, Lashlander. They're 5 spoke Dayton's, or open wheels as some refer to them. The ones in this picture are wearing low profile rubber,but are normal 22 or 24 inch steel rims...

We nicknamed them "Chicago Wobblers" up here in the northeast, because if you don't tighten them up in sequence and use a guide (just a simple wood block, or even the sledgehammer head on the floor, next to the tire,) when you run them on with the gun, they'll...you guessed it....wobble.:drinkup

Lashlander

They call em California wheels out west. I've seen them on a few tilt decks and some older trucks but never seen them on a lowboy. I thought they were a thing of the past. I was hauling a big Bomag roller one time on a Hyster 20 ton tiltdeck. A car pulled out in front of me and I had to get on the brakes hard. The wheels spun inside the drums and ripped the valve stem off of all four tires on the front axle. The lugs that were supposed to keep that from happening were smeared clear off.:Banghead

Jeff D.

The trucking co. I drove for as a company driver had Daytons on all their Int. 9670's.

They started having troubles with studs breaking off on the steer axles from either overtightening or shock and the tires would work loose or come off.

We ran alot of Canada, and at that time (early-mid 90's) Canada, or atleast Ontario for sure, was coming down hard on trucks that lost tires while on the road, because of numerous fatalities.

They then changed all the steer axles to Bud's, but left the Daytons on the rears & trailers.