Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Largest Caterpillar Sidebooms

Smile Largest Caterpillar Sidebooms

Just for a little history ; of the Largest Caterpillar Pipelayers , or Sidebooms.

1. Cat 594 Built 1966-'75, 385 hp, 200K lift capacity

2. Cat 594H , 1975-'86, 410 hp, 200K lift cap.

3. Cat 589, 1986-'06, 420 hp, 230K lift cap.

4. Cat 591, 1989 (one only), 520 hp, 350K lift cap.

5. Cat 587R, 2006-'08, 351 hp, 202K lift cap.

6. Cat 587T, 2006-'08, 366 hp, 202K lift cap.

And here's a picture of a Cat 587T sideboom in NC Machinery's yard. Headed for Prudhoe Bay after some revisions, like a cab, engine covers,etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Sidebooms are nice machines! but i have never seen one here in Finland, and i'm quite shure there aren't any sidebooms here, the pipelines here in finland is the same size as the straw's at mcdonalds in the states

That's some heavy lifting....brings up a something I've wonderd about. Why don't you see any roll bars on pipelayers? None I've seen have them...even newer high-track machines.

side booms

Quote Originally Posted by D6c10K View Post
    That's some heavy lifting....brings up a something I've wonderd about. Why don't you see any roll bars on pipelayers? None I've seen have them...even newer high-track machines.
    Because they only have operators on em not drivers

Seriously, a very good question. I have seen booms on thier bonnets and I have seen booms on thier side in the ditch with the pipe, but I have never seen one rolled.
    Thinking about it logically, the machine cannot roll to the left due to the boom, it will go a long way but not over. If a machine went over to the right with the weights out I find it hard to believe the machine would roll. Even with the weights in I find it hard to believe a machine could roll and even if it did the weights being higher than the operators seat would act as a roll bar

Heres a couple of shots of 583's to show the height of the weights.

Name:  boom 001.jpg
Views: 7977
Size:  35.2 KB

Yes, its me in 79

Name:  boom 002.jpg
Views: 7891
Size:  47.0 KB
    Last edited by AtlasRob; 12-21-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added pics
    If their no good in the seat, put them on their feet.
    www.Robtaylorplanthireltd.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Northart View Post
    Just for a little history ; of the Largest Caterpillar Pipelayers , or Sidebooms.
    Thanks for that Northart, I wondered how the numbering went with the high drives
    Do you know if the hyd boom came in with the high drive or was it a later addition ?

Atlas Rob

Where were the pictures of the booms taken at rob? If you don't mind me asking.

A friend of mine just come back from running the Bending in New York and said the High Tracks were hard to keep the nose on the ground on the steep ground. Anyone else heard of that?

Quote Originally Posted by roddyo View Post
    Where were the pictures of the booms taken ?
    It was in Algeria ( North Africa ) 1979-82. Nacap ( Dutch outfit ) Did 510 Km
    of 48" from the gas field at Hassi-R-Mel to Arzew on the Med.
    Plus a lot of smaller pipe from the numerous well heads to the pumping stations.
    I have no experience of the high drives so any feedback is intresting.

It looked like the Mid East

Quote Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
    It was in Algeria ( North Africa ) 1979-82. Nacap ( Dutch outfit ) Did 510 Km
    of 48" from the gas field at Hassi-R-Mel to Arzew on the Med.
    Plus a lot of smaller pipe from the numerous well heads to the pumping stations.
    I have no experience of the high drives so any feedback is intresting.
    It looked like the Mid East is why I was asking. My dad worked in Iran/Iraq a lot during the war about that time. That was the good thing about Brown & Root, they didn't pick sides I guess. I was born in Wales in 1969, some kind of job was going on there at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
    Because they only have operators on em not drivers

Seriously, a very good question. I have seen booms on thier bonnets and I have seen booms on thier side in the ditch with the pipe, but I have never seen one rolled.
    Thinking about it logically, the machine cannot roll to the left due to the boom, it will go a long way but not over. If a machine went over to the right with the weights out I find it hard to believe the machine would roll. Even with the weights in I find it hard to believe a machine could roll and even if it did the weights being higher than the operators seat would act as a roll bar

Heres a couple of shots of 583's to show the height of the weights.

Name:  boom 001.jpg
Views: 7977
Size:  35.2 KB

Yes, its me in 79

Name:  boom 002.jpg
Views: 7891
Size:  47.0 KB
    They can roll over, I've never seen it, thank God. Many years ago I did see pictures of one that rolled down a steep slope. The boom, the weights, seat, fuel tank and everything came off. They can turn over backwards like they are doing a wheelie, and go end over end.

Quote Originally Posted by roddyo View Post
    It looked like the Mid East is why I was asking. My dad worked in Iran/Iraq a lot during the war about that time. That was the good thing about Brown & Root, they didn't pick sides I guess. I was born in Wales in 1969, some kind of job was going on there at the time.
    Small world, and this internet thing is making it smaller by the minute
    Another big pipeline went in last year from the new LNG dock at Milford Haven across South Wales to connect into the main grid near the Severn I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
    They can roll over, I've never seen it, thank God. Many years ago I did see pictures of one that rolled down a steep slope. The boom, the weights, seat, fuel tank and everything came off. They can turn over backwards like they are doing a wheelie, and go end over end.
    I dont doubt that they can and have, what it was really about was why they didnt have a roll bar fitted. I dont know the true answer and was more thinking out aloud than anything else.
    If the roll was bad enough to loose everything that was previously securely attached I dont suppose a roll bar would have mattered a toss anyway,

And They Walked Away

A guy I worked with turned a 583 over in a Peet Bog. He was High Balling it down a set of 16' mats in reverse and didn't see where they narrowed down to 12'. The funny thing was they just filled it up with fuel. I don't know who filled there pants up more, my buddy that was on it or the Enviromental Inspector.

What machine is the 587t built from?
    591?

Ancestory ?

What is the ancestory ?

Hard to say. for sure not the 591, as that was a one of a kind machine .

Looking at the dozer specs , the D8T-LGP and the D9T are the closest in spec.

The D8T (310 hp)and the 587T (366 hp) both have the C-15 engine but at different hp. The D9T has the C-18 @ 410 hp

The ground contact area of the of the D8T-LGP is 9576 sq".

The ground contact area of the 587 is 9613 sq".

I'm sure someone knows more .

I was at a Richie Bros auction a year or so ago...they had several pipe layers that sold. Two or three looked to be D9 oval track size machines (don't know the model) They're definitely huge...was guessing the counterweight alone outweighed my D6c.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast