Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas line explosion

Gas line explosion

These arrived in my email this weekend. The only info is as stated. The only thing I can add is the file information shows the pictures were taken on 14th Sept 2008 and the ones on the ground were taken about 20mins before the arial shots by apparently the same camera.

Is anybody aware of this disaster? QUOTE

"This happened in the Mid West USA, wiped out two Farms killing one family of two adults, three children. The other farm lost the wife and one child the another child was burned and lost an arm, the father was working in a nearby paddock and was unhurt. The person who was Excavating was never found six other council workers on site died as well as two elderly ladies driving by. Fourteen dead in all, one badly injured, three slightly hurt. Only small bits of the Excavator Back Hoe was ever found." END QUOTE

Just done a search and found exact same pics http://www.corribsos.com/index.php?id=2000

Name:  pipexp1.jpg
Views: 5541
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  pipexp2.jpg
Views: 10555
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  pipexp3.jpg
Views: 5477
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  pipexp4.jpg
Views: 5449
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  pipexp5.jpg
Views: 5489
Size:  88.9 KB
    Last edited by AtlasRob; 11-30-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: found link
    If their no good in the seat, put them on their feet.
    www.Robtaylorplanthireltd.co.uk

The rest

Name:  pipexp6.jpg
Views: 5402
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  pipexp7.jpg
Views: 5392
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  pipexp8.jpg
Views: 5423
Size:  52.3 KB

Should have done the search first. Somebody has been playing with the statistics.
    According to the "official" reports, nobody was killed.
    Last edited by AtlasRob; 11-30-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added info

holly crap

They must have put the hush on that story, first I have heard about it. What a blowtorch, must have been a high pressure line to do that much damage.

Wow, that amazing! It is weird it wasn't front page news everywhere. This is the first I heard of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by DPete View Post
    They must have put the hush on that story, first I have heard about it. What a blowtorch, must have been a high pressure line to do that much damage.
    Same thought...weird it didn't make the news here. What a disaster, my condolences to the families who lost their loved ones in the incident.

Those pics were indescribale at first look!
    -Austin

That is incredible! Anyone with a gas pipline running through their property would be very nervous if they saw those photographs.

Rn'R.

Thanks for posting these pics Atlas Rob. My thoughts and prayers to all affected.

We have been working for a natural gas company for the past ten years or so and always here how bad it could be but I have never seen any devastation such as this. We actually are finishing a re-coat job in a wash out area this week. Just one slip or failure of the machine that is performing the digging can be catastrophic.

I would certainly like to see what there findings are of what caused the accident. I wonder if they run smart pigs? How long was the line in the ground?

If you come across any additional information please share.

Thanks .......

Quote Originally Posted by Lashlander View Post
    Wow, that amazing! It is weird it wasn't front page news everywhere. This is the first I heard of it too.
    does'nt make much sense,strange nobody's heard of this .

Proudly spending today building the dilapidated housing of the 22nd century....

Read the Forum Rules Here

Gas line explosion:

"This happened in the Mid West USA, wiped out two Farms killing one family of two adults, three children. The other farm lost the wife and one child the another child was burned and lost an arm, the father was working in a nearby paddock and was unhurt. The person who was Excavating was never found six other council workers on site died as well as two elderly ladies driving by. Fourteen dead in all, one badly injured, three slightly hurt. Only small bits of the Excavator Back Hoe was ever found."
    Rob,
    Do you know the source of this information?

Apparently, thank God, it's not totally accurate....

OCR

i live about 3hrs from appomatox and never heard about this either til now...that is one heck of a blow out...story said is was 36" line running from the gulf to newyork....wowow

The reason no one heard of the story nationaly is because of the election. Not enough people killed, so no story, sad.

Found some more info on story. The line was installed in 1955 and is one of three lines that run through the area. They have sent the piece of pipe to a metalurgy lab for testing. They suspect metal loss or corrosion. There was no work being done at that exact spot the explosion occured. They have been working on other areas of the line replacing sections and updating pumping staions. The gas is pumped through at 800psi, wow. They have lowered the other two lines pressure to 640psi until they have permission from the court to bring it back to full capacity of 800psi.

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    Rob,
    Do you know the source of this information?
    Apparently, thank God, it's not totally accurate....

OCR
    If you go through the original post carefully I clarify that point with a statement at the end, after I had done a search.

There is a lot of additional info by using the link I posted and working your way through the other links on that page.

I know some have dial up and it can take forever to follow links so this is COPIED & PASTED

Preliminary findings by federal inspectors charged with investigating the rupture of a natural gas pipeline in Appomattox show some measure of metal loss near the failure, according to a corrective order issued last week to the company that operates the line.

The order also listed concerns with corrosion-control systems along the line, and required the operator, Williams Gas Co., to lower the pressure in the two lines that run adjacent to the one that ruptured until a complete evaluation is done.

The exact cause of last month’s pipeline rupture, which sparked a devastating fireball and leveled two homes, is not yet known. It is under investigation by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, the agency that issued the Sept. 25 corrective order.

The natural gas pipeline that runs through Appomattox is part of the Transco line, which extends from the Gulf of Mexico to New York, including 858 miles in Virginia.

Under normal operation, gas is pushed through those lines at 800 pounds per square inch. Williams immediately lowered the pressure to 670 psi after the Sept. 14 explosion. The corrective order requires Williams to lower it to 640 psi, which the company did last week.

The order also outlines the steps needed to return the three natural gas lines to full service.

“Most of the items covered were things we already planned to do,”
    Last edited by AtlasRob; 12-03-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast