Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jump starting 24 volt equipment

Charter Member

jump starting 24 volt equipment

I was just thinking of this and never had to but what if you had to jump a piece of equipment that was 24 volt in the field and all you had was your truck and cables. 12 volt to 24 volt does not mix.
    2005 F350 powerstroke Diesel
    1997 580L
    2004 Gehl 4640 turbo
    1985 Leroi 185 compressor

Interesting thought. Guess from my military experience, I've never had to jump off a 24 volt system when I didn't have another 24 volt vehicle around. We just hauled out the heavy cables with the huge plugs, and just plugged grill to grill with them.

Suppose you could hook the 12 volt cables across just one battery, or two batteries what were plugged in parallel on a four battry system, and add the boost from the 12 volt system into half of the 24 volt ststem. Suppose you could even use two sets of cables and jump to both 12 volt sides of the 24 volt system, but that would tricky for someone who doesn't fully understand series-parallel wiring.

Be interesting to see if anyone has actually had to do this. Might even be fun to stand back and watch all the loudish poppin undt spitzensparken.
    Littledenny

Be interesting to see if anyone has actually had to do this.
    I have, but only a hundred times or so.

You're right about going to just one battery. What I've done is to go to one battery, and hooked the cables up, positive to positive and negative to negative. I let that battery charge up a bit off the "jumping" vehicle, and then switch the cables to the second battery, and let it charge a bit. If the "dead" 24 volt system isn't too dead, that'll work pretty well.

Sometimes you'll have a 24 volt system that's made up of four 6-volt batteries. In that case, you charge the first pair, and then the second pair, as if each pair was a single 12-volt battery (which, in effect, it is).

I've never tried using two sets of cables and jumping both batteries at once. I've never even *wanted* to try that.

...that would tricky for someone who doesn't fully understand series-parallel wiring.
    You should really be familiar with that concept before you start hooking up the cables at all...

DO NOT USE 2 sets of cables to jump both batteries at once as this will short out both of the batteries in the 24 volt system. this could cause the batteries to explode
    unless you use 2 different source systems which have no comon connections.
    Last edited by Dwan Hall; 09-01-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwan Hall
    DO NOT USE 2 sets of cables to jump both batteries at once as this will short out both of the batteries in the 24 volt system. this could cause the batteries to explode

Didn't know that - Thanks.
    Littledenny

You can charge or jump a 12 or 24 with a portable dc welding machine
    you just need to know how to do it and have a suitable machine
    don't use this technique if you have a dead cell
    your thoughts on this?

And when placing or removing cable's ,, never ever put your face over that battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I treat everybody the same...... I give em all grief.

With so many machines now having computers, a person needs to be careful also not to smoke the computer trying to jump start a machine.

i do it like Digger242j does it and it ok.
    like they said keep your face from over the battery in case it goes wrong

Using a welder to jump start is about the worst piece of advice tht can be given. Do not do it !!! It is NOT worth it. I can`t remember how many controllers I have seen burnt up. I rewired a 1200 Hitachi excavator because of it. Cost the customer $11,000 by the time it was up and running again. Worst part is they knew the batteries were bad, the super on the job told their mechanic to do it, and they fired the mechanic for it.
    With everything being computerized these days, the welder battery charger is not a good idea. My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwan Hall View Post
    If you have two different trucks/cars there you can put a pair on each one though... make sure none of the trucks or equipment is touching bumpers

I have jumped off of my miller trailblazer 302 how many times I put it in wire feed mode and set it on the right volts and then I get my mm out most of the time and check it and make sure it is the right volts and it always checks out to what the display says! I also haul equip and it happens that I get somewhere to pickup a piece of equip and it is dead I just pull my truck up there shut it off unhook 2 batt and make them 24 volt and jump it I have even pulled the batt out of semi and hauled them over by machine and did it worked great! I have never had very good luck with trying to jump a 24 volt system with a 12 volt like the other people were talkn bout but I believe if I waited long enuf it might work! My 2 bits Jerry

I've never had any luck using 12V to jump a 24V system, probably from lack of patience.

I started hauling around a small El Cheapo battery from Wally World and a battery cable that's about 2' long with terminals on it. I can set it on the grill guard of my pickup and slap the cable on from the positive of the mounted battery to the negative of my mobile battery. Then I can use jumper cables to go from the negative of the mounted battery and the positive from the mobile battery to get 24V. My pickup uses the side mounted posts for its system so the top mounted posts are free to use.

Even if I'm not in my pickup, I can rig up this system faster with two sets of jumper cables and a swiped/borrowed battery quicker than I can jump it going the 12V way.

That would work... after you disconnect the terminals from your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by d9gdon View Post

I started hauling around a small El Cheapo battery from Wally World and a battery cable that's about 2' long with terminals on it. I can set it on the grill guard of my pickup and slap the cable on from the positive of the mounted battery to the negative of my mobile battery. Then I can use jumper cables to go from the negative of the mounted battery and the positive from the mobile battery to get 24V. My pickup uses the side mounted posts for its system so the top mounted posts are free to use.

I guess you're gonna have to tell me why I'd need to disconnect my terminals. I must have gotten lucky several dozen times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast