Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobcat 763 Traction Lock Issue

Probationary Member
    sorry for jumping in but i need help i got a bobcat 863 i parked it yesterday went to go today runs like normal but nothing moves in the indicator spots were the light come on there is nothing not even the power light i looked at all the fuses i could find all good there made shure it was well heated still nothing o ya its a 2001 thanks for any help

try a new cylinoid sp it has probably gone bad internally

Probationary Member
    what would that be and were would it be can i test it thanks for your reply

lift the cab right inside behind the kick plate or where the steering controls comehtrough there is a chain case cover there are three on the machine one in the front where your feet rest when your running it atleast ming do on an acs machine one right behind the kick plate and one right infront of the hydrostat the middle one right behind the kick plate is where your brake is there will be a gold looking coil if its not covered in oil soaked dirt that is your brake coil i think there is a test for it but don't know it off the top of my head more than likely thats what has gone bad you pull it by taking the 2 7/16 thats the socket size bolts out and pull the coil off and unplug it you can take the entire assembly off which is 2 3/8 bolts or 9/16 socket then you can take the coil off from there you may check the relay on the fuse panel if its a g series triangle lights is how you tell its a g and triangle panels inside that are gray a f series has square head lights on the front if its a f they are in the engine compartment open the back door and its on the left side above the battery third one in is the brake solenoid swap it with the light relay and see if that fixes it if it does replace the relay if not its probably the coil

Probationary Member
    bump

Make sure the Battery has enough volts to activate the magnet

Quote Originally Posted by TriHonu View Post

The solenoid has two coils, a pull coil and the hold coil. It sounds like either the hold coil is shorting or the circuit that powers it.

To get to the solenoid raise the cab. The solenoid is in the top of the chaincase below the seat. The solenoid has two power wires and a black ground wire. The power wire for the pull coil is red or white and the power wire for the hold coil wire is pink or red. The resistance for the hold coil is 0.4 - 0.5 ohms. The resistance for the hold coil is 10-11 ohms.

The relay is one of the 4 or 5 relays mounted to a bar right above the battery. The Brake relay harness has 4 wires. Black is ground, Red/White, White, Pink/White. All the relays are the same type. The bar is labelled but be aware you can plug any harness into any relay. These relays can fail in the open or closed position.

The BICS powers the relay to close the switch powering the pull coil in the brake solenoid. The BICS also directly powers the hold coil in the brake solenoid.

I would start by checking the resistance of the brake solenoid coils, Brake Fuse and relay. You can switch the glow plug relay with the brake relay to check if your problem subsides. When my relays started to go I replaced them all and bolted an extra one on the back side of the mounting bar. That way if one goes bad I can just unplug the harness and plug it into the spare.

Since it will start and go, It must be a short some where between the brake solenoid and the BICS controller. Not so obvious, it could be the brake switch opening when you bounce the loader.
    Hi
    I have an old skidsteer, I think its a 543 or 553, somebody painted over all the labels before I got it. Anyway I have been having a problem where the BICS will not power up, which has got worse and worse. Having just spent 700USD on an oil cooler and starter motor, I don't want to spend any more. I only use this machine at home, often with a backhoe attachment, for my self build project.

What I want to do is replace the BICS with a rocker switch, so once I am sat in, bar down, I press the switch and the Traction Lock Solenoid & Hydraulic Tilt Lock Valve Solenoid engage, and my machine works. The Hydraulic Tilt Lock Valve Solenoid looks easy, 2 wires, one goes to ground, the other the switch. The Traction Lock Solenoid as you have kindly explained above has 2 coils. I am guessing the pull coil needs power initially, then both, then drop power on the pull coil so just power the hold coil, would this be correct ?

I am aware that removing the BICS is less safe than with it in place, but I have already glued the seat sensor so it thinks I am always in the seat, so its only really checking the safety bar is in place.

Many Thanks

Rick

Update

To bypass a non working BICS, from a 553C, mid 80's.

I am no expert, and I recommend that you don't do this, but if like me the cost of a new BICS exceeds your machines value, what I have done works for me, and may work for you. I really really can't say enough how silly doing this is, and that your machine will be less safe as a result, so don't do it.

OK you ignored the safety warning, on your head be it !!!

Chock the Bobcat wheels, just in case.

Disconnect the battery, red cable only will be fine.

Lift up the CAB & secure. I use a ratchet strap. Make sure this is done very very well as you will be working under the CAB.

I ran a chunk of 3 core cable from the ignition switch via the CAB hinge down into the motor bay below the seat.

Find the Traction Lock Solenoid (in the centre of the machine at the front of the bay under the seat, quite hard to get too), cut the red & pink wires (leave black alone), connect the cut wires from the Solenoid each to a core of the 3 core. Insulate and make tidy.

Find the 2 wires going to the Hydraulic Tilt Lock Valve Solenoid. This Solenoid is in the engine bay, but the wires pass near the traction lock solenoid. Cut the green, and connect the end going to the solenoid to the 3rd core in the 3 core. Leave the black alone. Insulate & make tidy.

Put cab down, and get to the back of the ignition switch.

Connect a wire from the switched live to a suitability mounted rocker switch. On the other side of the rocker switch connect the 3 core wires that run to the green of the Hydraulic Tilt Lock Valve Solenoid, and the pink of the Traction Lock Solenoid.

Connect another wire from the switched side of the rocker switch you have just installed to a suitably mounted "press to make and auto release" switch. Connect the other side of this switch to the 3 core wire that goes to red wire on the Traction Lock Solenoid.

Insulate all connections and make tidy.

Reconnect battery.

To drive the bobcat, get in, secure seat bar & seat belt. Start the engine like normal. Set the rocker switch on, peddles to move the arms will now work. Press the push to make, and hear the normal clunk as the brake releases. Drive your machine as normal. When finished, set the rocker switch to off and turn off engine.

If you had a working foot brake, which I didn't, it is now not working.

Now I hear you ask, what if only my seat sensor is not working, as the seat is old. This is easy. Lift the CAB, chock the machine, disconnect the battery as described above. The seat sensor is under the middle of the seat, unbolt it from the machine, this is harder than it sounds, but not overly hard. The sensor is a magnet in a coil. Rearrange the wires so when the CAB is down you can get to all the bits. Put the CAB down & reconnect the battery. With the machine on, but no engine running, very slowly move the magnet inside the coil till the BICS sees the seat sensor as activated, remember this position. Use some glue, tape, silicone or whatever to hold the magnet in the coil in the position you have just found. Insulate & make tidy.

Lets just finish up by saying that your BICS is an essential safety system, and by bypassing any of its functions, as I have described above, you are being monumentally stupid, and may kill yourself or others.

I have a similar problem with th BICS on a 763. The machine starts fine. After the traction override button is pushed the traditional "clunk" is heard. As soon as the right hand control is moved (AHC) to activate the tilt control the valve control light for tilt and lift on the BISC turns off and all control movement is halted. The machine can still drive but no movement of the bucket lift or tilt is allowed. Something to do with the right hand control grounding something out? All replies are appreciated. Thanks

In my machine the wires to the Hydraulic Tilt Lock Valve Solenoid run past the workings of the right hand control. I would suggest that they have rubbed, and the wires have worn through the insulation.

what was the solution to the original problem or was it ever solved?

thanks

Ryan

Probationary Member

bobcat 763

trying to bypass seat sensor in 763 cannot get the lift valve to light up

Quote Originally Posted by fredbohnIV View Post
    trying to bypass seat sensor in 763 cannot get the lift valve to light up
    You can't bypass it by simply joining the wires. What you have to do is take the sensor out of the seat. You will find its 2 bits, a magnet and a coil. You have to work out where in the coil the magnet needs to be, and then using glue / gaffer tape fix the magnet in that position.

THIS JOB HAS MANY DANGERS I RECOMMEND YOU DON'T DO IT WITHOUT A RISK ACCESSMENT.

Rick

early t190 heater r&r

need to get the heater blower motor out but seems like every way i go is a dead end i have the heater core and a/c pulled started to pull the whole duct work and all but seems like the seat needs to come out to get the heads of bolts gotta be doing something wrong any help

Quote Originally Posted by greaseballx View Post
    need to get the heater blower motor out but seems like every way i go is a dead end i have the heater core and a/c pulled started to pull the whole duct work and all but seems like the seat needs to come out to get the heads of bolts gotta be doing something wrong any help
    You have a more modern model than I, however I had to take the seat out, and lift up the top to get to the bottom of the seat and the sensor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast