Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Brakes for Under CDL Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    do you know if i can take my CDL A driving test with a 3500 and a 10 ton trailer?
    you could...you would get a class A but you wouldn't be able to get your air-brake restriction lifted...you had just better make sure your GVCW paper work is up to date before you head to the DMV...they check any and all paper work when you go to take the test, i had to go back a second time to take my test because i didn't have the right papers the first time
    Civil Engineer EIT
    Part Time Farmer

you might need a truck with air brakes. you should look into it. and you might be overweight with a 10 ton trailer and a 3500. i believe the 3500 dually is rated for between 16k and 18k on a trailer pull

That's the bad part....you can get your Class A, with restrictions on air brakes. Then you have to take the WHOLE freak'n test over for an air brake truck. Best to get it in all one shot.

Our local test station has trucks/trailer to rent. Best $150 to spend to get it over with.

Remember, you need to have a CDL holder IN the vehicle for you to get to test station(can't show up without someone else in the cab). Then you can't drive a "commercial" vehicle on the way home, so that person has to drive. Don't ask why? Stupid, but they make you get your printed license before you can drive the truck again. AT least in Ohio.
    59 B61 Mack

The best advice is to check your state's specific requirement for CDL testing. The Federal Rule is a minimum guideline that each state can start with and add to.

In Alabama, I got my Class A CDL with a 26K GVW truck with air brakes (do not need a CDL to drive bobtail) with a 14K GVW trailer with electric brakes. Crazy, yes but those are the rules here.

Upon passing my driving test, I was issued a temporary license and was allowed to drive the truck home. In fact we left the next morning for Ohio to pick up a roll-off truck, which I drove 1/2 of the way back to AL.

Just check with your local DMW for the specific rules that apply to your state.

if you passed the test why did you get a temp. license? I got my licnese re-printed with the CDL on it right there while i waited
    Civil Engineer EIT
    Part Time Farmer

Our test place is not a DMV, so they can't print a license. It's a privately run test center.

The trailer only needs to be plated for +10K lbs, air brakes are not mandatory for it, only the truck.
    59 B61 Mack

when i took my CDL road test, i had to wait 7 days go to the dmv with a form that i was given when i passed. got issued a temp license and got my amended permenant license in the mail about a month later.

Here in Ontario there is a separate classification for Air Brakes, it's a 'z' endorsement. It can be added to any class of license, so one can even have their 'g' (basically light vehicles) and their 'z' together. I might actually end up doing that short term, because I can take a weekend course and earn my 'z' for about $300. There's a s/a dump that we're looking at that has air brakes, but I could drive within the weights of my license, so would let me do so legally.

After that, by adding a large enough trailer, I could then go upgrade to my 'A' license with the same truck.

As to 'A' licenses here versus CDL, I don't know that we have a commercial versus non-commercial designation, I know at least one of the ministry scales like to impound the big RV's that don't have the 'A' license for the weight of the trailer.

I think California has different classes for Commercial and NON commercial CDL.
    59 B61 Mack

When I upgraded to a Class A I went into work, got the truck and my rider, drove over to the test, passed that, drove back to the office, got in my car drove down to the DMV and got a 4 year class A in the same day, the same thing when I first got my cdl, drove down and back then went and got the liscense the same day. For any endorsements you have to be driving a vehicle that covers those endorsements, for example if you want to drive a fuel truck, you can't just take a truck with haz mat flags, you have to take one that has both the tank and haz mat flags.

Haz Mat is only an endorsement test in Ohio and nothing to do with road test, as they don't require a tanker. I have tank endorsement and drug a flat bed trailer for test.

I think AIR brakes is the only endorsement that requires the truck to have for test. Since you have to do leak down and the like.

Guess it goes to show EACH state has it's own requirements and you definitely need to call to find out.
    59 B61 Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Freightrain View Post
    I think AIR brakes is the only endorsement that requires the truck to have for test. Since you have to do leak down and the like.
    I think you're right. I have tank and double/triple endorsements but took my test with a single box trailer. The endorsements were just additional written tests. In fact I added them to my license at a later date.

here in PA you automatically have an air brake restriction...you need to take a test with an air brake truck to get the restriction lifted...same with a passenger restriction you would need to take the test in a bus....tanker/double/hazmat are all endorsements given by passing a written test

so even though i have a class A if i want to drive a bus i would need to go back and retake the driving test in a bus...kind of backwards, i can drive a tractor trailer but not a straight truck haha
    Civil Engineer EIT
    Part Time Farmer

I think the waiting has to do with HOMELAND SECURITY- In New Hampshire they are giving temps even for renewal- com. or non
    according to the news awhile back

Quote Originally Posted by OneWelder View Post
    I think the waiting has to do with HOMELAND SECURITY- In New Hampshire they are giving temps even for renewal- com. or non
    according to the news awhile back
    Yes, HAZMAT requires a DOHS background check, which can take a while.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast