Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Medium Dozer?

gimme a d8h. good power, good control, decent comfort, great sound.the new d3s and 4s are crapola, imho. too jerky and too light. deeres are way too light, they git to chattering too easily. 8rs are ok as are 6ms. the finger tip steering sux, though. love diff steer.
    SO MOTE IT BE.
    the qball fan club
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=42336642940
    the qball youtube page
    http://www.youtube.com/qball671

The Ultimate Dozer? With a belly pan winch.

Quote Originally Posted by John C. View Post
    I think there needs to be some kind of winching mechanism that works from inside the cab for the belly pans. I don't know how many hundreds of hours I've put in pulling a pan to change a hose and then jacking or stringing come along and chains underneath to get the thing back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    Man... you got that right... I've been trying to get something figured out just like you suggested.
    Took a while too... Lol

Here's some pictures of the winch I just installed, to lift the back pan on a 750c.

First, I cut a chain splice in half and welded it to the pan bottom for the winch cable... the one to the left is just to show what I used.

Name:  DSCF0949.jpg
Views: 2656
Size:  57.3 KB

This just shows how I attached the cable. I actually double lined it by running the free end back on the drum.

Name:  DSCF0950.jpg
Views: 2641
Size:  50.0 KB

This is the dinky little winch I used... lol
    My Brother bought it a couple years ago, and it's just been laying around here. It's basically an ATV winch... I think he said it cost about $45.00.

Name:  DSCF0951.jpg
Views: 2789
Size:  49.1 KB

Another winch picture... dragging pan under dozer.

Name:  DSCF0952.jpg
Views: 3229
Size:  48.4 KB

This shows the winch starting to lift the belly pan.

Name:  DSCF0953.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  40.1 KB

I'll post the rest tomorrow.

OCR

That looks like it will work great! You must be putting your snooze time to good use. LOL Getting the pan covers back on was always one of the worst parts of the job. Would also make it nice to be able to keep it in place when unbolting instead of eating a face full of dirt and grease as it gets looser and is falling on you!
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

What did you use to weld the chain splicer to the pan? If the chain splice link is made of forged steel no problem, low hydrogen rod like 7018 works great.

Nice job OCR!!!

You are coming closer to building our dream machine.

SSSSSSSSwwweeeeeeetttt!

I like it too!
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

How to post pics to forum posts

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

hinges work too

I have a couple of hinges made out of strap welded to the sides of both belly pans on mine, they swing out of the way if you don't need to do much under there, and come back easily with a comealong under it.

The winch idea is a great one too. Great job!

My idea of a new dozer would be a new 6D or 7G, made from all the old dies, but with the blade cylinders mounted on the hardnose. Not one computer, and on 12V. 3306 motor is very inexpensive to run long term. My earmuffs with a radio in them suppress the sound level just fine in those metal cabs.

Parts are already on the shelf everywhere.

How bout a hands free headset two way radio. mount the transmit switch on the blade control and while there at it tap in the cd\radio with a volume control beside the transmit switch that way you dont have to stop working to have that 10 min radio convo with your wiggle wagon driver
    Consultant and buying equipment again 872GP HSD
    D6N D5H Hitachi 230 JD450 KW tri drive and aspen triaxle with jeep. More to come as winter starts.

A belly pan winch.

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    I'll post the rest tomorrow.

OCR
    I guess "Tomorrow is Yesterday"... lol

For 25c though:
    "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" is a first-season episode of Star Trek: The Original Series. It is episode #19, production #21, first broadcast on January 26, 1967.
    Maybe a few more pictures now...

The last picture was winch starting to lift the belly pan...

This one shows the pan about half way up... just to the point where the back starts to hit some structure for the track frame pivot. This is the place where the swearing would usually start in earnest.

In order to get the back part over the top of the structure, the pan needs to be moved forward, and the back tilted up... very hard maneuver if it's on a floor jack, or some other support.

As can be seen, all I had to do was use one hand... I was holding the camera with the other... and give it a gentle pull, and push down to lift the back end... and a gentle push, and the pan edge was over the structure.

This was kinda like a "hand shake", signifying the end to a 10 year feud... and believe me... I had never touched it with that attitude before...

Name:  DSCF0954.jpg
Views: 2380
Size:  45.6 KB

Now you can see that the pan is butted up against the tab with the two bolt holes... these are the two rear attach points.

I'll point out too... all this maneuvering was easy, since the pan was hanging from a free swinging attach point, and more or less balanced.

Name:  DSCF0955.jpg
Views: 2342
Size:  51.7 KB

Just a little more winching, and since it was pulling at a slight back angle, it sucked the pan right up tight to the back.

You can also get a little better view of how I rigged the cable around the chain splice... kind of a loop affair... I sure almost every one has used this "knot" themselves.

Name:  DSCF0956.jpg
Views: 2375
Size:  53.0 KB

Winched the pan up tight, and every bolt started by hand!!!
    I even had a hard time believing that, didn't have to pry, or move it a bit.
    This just shows the bolts, inserted hand tight.

Name:  DSCF0957.jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  49.5 KB

This is just a picture of the belly pan, with the bolts in... still hand tight.

But it also shows the "structure" part, that the pan has to go over, that I was talking about earlier.

Name:  DSCF0959.jpg
Views: 2414
Size:  55.4 KB

And that more or less "wraps" it up... lol

OCR
    Last edited by OCR; 09-13-2009 at 07:28 AM.

This is a classic case of 'necessity is the mother of invention'. That is clever, but simple, OCR, you should slap a patent on it, before the big manufacturers copy it, you may never have to work again.
    Well done.

Rn'R.

A belly pan winch.

Thank you very much, my friend...

OCR

Excellent work OCR ! I like the double rigged cable.I'l inform "starfleet command" on your progress.Live long and prosper OCR.

Really nice OCR!
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

How to post pics to forum posts

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

I like the idea of a reversable cockpit. might work well with a skidsteer type lift on the back of a small dozer and a bit more speed. it would make a small machine a whole lot more versitile. The Dozer would now become a dozer/skidder/mulcher/loader.

Most cat equipment with the waste handler package comes with bellypan actuators. The pans are bolted in place but then pivot on a hinge and are lowered by a electric actuator after the bolts are removed. Either switches mounted with the hood switch or a remote on a long cord.

These are actually more of a pain because they don't work, are seize or have been disconnected. So now when you remove the pans you have to assume they are disconnected and hook up the chain or use a jack.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast