Thread: The Ultimate Medium Dozer?

Bullseye.

Hi, Stumpjumper.
    BULLSEYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You have a wonderful day.
    Best wishes.
    Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by John C. View Post
    I don't think there will ever be an ultimate dozer but from a mechanics perspective I can think of some things I'd like to see in the current production units.

I think there needs to be some kind of winching mechanism that works from inside the cab for the belly pans. I don't know how many hundreds of hours I've put in pulling a pan to change a hose and then jacking or stringing come alongs and chains underneath to get the thing back up. And on that vein why isn't there some kind of adapter that I can use on the machine for dragging tracks on with. Something on the blade maybe or can be mounted on the hard nose so I don't have to use another machine and a 150 feet of chain or cable.

Easy fix mate. All our dozers get a couple of pieces of hollow bar welded to each section of the belly plate, with matching pieces on the frame. When you need to access inside you just slip in a pin to work as a hinge, put a hydraulic jack under the other side and undo the bolts. Then lower the jack, do the job and jack it up again. The plate just swings down to the bottom of the jack stroke on one side which gives room to get in. Hinging allows for easy alignment going back up, and means it cant slip off the jacks and squash you when you're dropping the bolts. I can lower any section of belly plate on one of ours, hose the dirt out, and have it up again in 30 minutes.

WARNING: Remove the pins when not in use. Otherwise if you do hang up and warp the plate you'll have to cut them out. And that's a nasty job. And leave enough room between each section of hollow bar for some movement.
    Last edited by trackfanatic; 07-18-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: further information

Quote Originally Posted by 95zIV View Post
    Those are probably next Steve said we would beat this one to death then start on something else.

I think rotating seats are good, so your whole console moves with you. Cat had this thing with right ways angled seats, for better blade and ripper visibility, so if it rotates, you can watch both sides of the blade and the ripper, hopefully at the touch of a button... Kinda like in a TLB... lets not go there...

I think that making the cab quieter means that you can't hear what your machine is trying to tell you. I have never actually run a dozer, but that is what I would love to operate. Sound suppresion is good, but not too much, you still got to hear your machine.
    Last edited by Bellboy; 07-19-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Does anyone else have mice problems if the equipment sits for days or months?
    The buggers are awful on my older equipment, I can only imagine what they would do to newer electronic stuff.
    To the end of durability and longevity I am not an electronics fan, I really don't see these newer machines lasting like the 70's model dozers.
    To be fair to the new dozer I ran at a field day, it probably doesn't drop to a low rpm with the deaccelerator due to emissions, and maybe you could develop a touch for the brake. But man a new dozer ought to be able to be stopped and started moving smoothly. I guess it would start smooth enough if you could get stopped smooth, but seemed kinda designed to just change directions without feathering to a stop.
    Things I would add to the list: Mouse proof, All electronics and harnesses need to be easy to trouble shoot and not require a company field tech. Brakes that can be feathered. Long Lasting!
    Make it look easy,
    Kent

I second the mice proof.That has been my thought on the electric drive D7E the rodents would have a field day on the electric harness

Midwest must be the only place that rodents live in heavy equipment

Size matters

We have a poll for age of members on here how about one for size? 6'4" 300+# makes the cabs awful cramped. Size 16 boot gets stuck too easy. Love to use foot rests on our new D6. Have to wear old football helmet to get in and out so I don't knock myself out. This thing is like sitting in the center seat on an airliner with fat broads on both sides.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Cat287B View Post
    This thing is like sitting in the center seat on an airliner with fat broads on both sides.
    Pete
    I always get that seat
    Regards from the Scrub somewhere near Karratha, Western Australia

Squizzy

Its better to be ignorant and ask a Stupid Question than to be plain Dumb and not ask at all - Screamed by High School Maths Teacher, 1979

Ultimate dozer.

Hi, Folks.
    The Ultimate Dozer? Getting EVERYBODY to agree on this would be like trying to get a unanimous vote from the U.N. on shooting Robert Mugabe to end his dictatorship --- just not going to happen.

In the D5 - D7 class? D5's, D6 's and smaller tend to do more trimming than bigger machines, the D7's included, so they tend to need a different balance from the bigger dozers which are more commonly used for bulk pushing and ripping. As mentioned in an earlier post, I personally consider the Cat D5B wide guage that I ran for 2 1/2 years to be the best all-round dozer that I have ever run. It could bulk push better, pound for pound, than a D10R. It would fill that 10 foot wide blade right up and boiling over the top and still keep on cutting more and loving it.

The same D5B was also a great little trimming machine. Most of the work that I did with it was levelling house pads to +/- around 1/2" to 3/4" - ignore the grouser marks - with laser monitoring, not laser controlled. It was great for this sort of work 'cos it could also RIP. I can't remember another small dozer that ripped like that little jigger and I've had my ample butt on a few. AND, it didn't have ANY electronics.

It had an uncertified, imitation open ROPS canopy on it that could have made a good cab if it had been closed in. For sure, it would have had more room inside than the low-roofed toilets that pass for cabs on current model Cat dozers. Cat engineers, are you listening? With the current cost of running earthmoving equipment, you don't want the operator having to stop the machine, get off and go somewhere far removed from the machine every time he feels like a drink of water. How about some space AND some stowage for a reasonable sized drink container and a reasonable sized lunch box?

Controllability is another issue that needs some attention, especially steering. Diff steer is great where you have room for it. I have found the diff steer machines that I have run to be a real PITA in tight spaces. Hydrostatic is way better in this regard. As for inter-connected clutches and brakes, they would be nice IF they were as precise as the earlier separated sytems but I have yet to find one that IS. Back to R+D on this one, fellers.

An isolated cab might be nice too, provided that it didn't flop about like a fresh-landed fish. I once drove a truck - for one short trip - that had a shock absorber mounted cab. When the truck went around a corner, the cab leaned outward so much it felt like it was going to fall over the side. Un-nerving, to say the least.

Still on cabs, I once operated a D8K dozer that had a front window in the cab that sloped outward toward the top. It was brilliant in the way that it eliminated reflections, both during the day and at night. The later Australian-built Cat 12E 17K graders also had this feature and they were great to use too, for the same reasons. Why has that 'technology' been shelved.

A/C and radio controls where you can get at them, speakers that you CAN hear clearly.

In short, a good power-to-weight ratio, good balance, good controllability, good all round vision, operator friendliness including good in-cab features and comfort, and GREAT reliability. Can any of you manufacturers fit ALL of that in one machine?

Just my 0.02.
    Best wishes.
    Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant View Post
    Hi, Folks.
    The Ultimate Dozer? Getting EVERYBODY to agree on this would be like trying to get a unanimous vote from the U.N. on shooting Robert Mugabe to end his dictatorship
    Do you know where i am f-r--o-ho-ho-m? AAHH hahahahahaha. I nearly wet myself, mhmhmhmhmh mm Do-o you-o kno-haha-w how-ow-ow many times we talk abo-oh-oh ut this here???? hahahaha
    Last edited by Bellboy; 07-20-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Getting A Laugh

Hi, Bellboy.
    Glad you got a laugh out of it.
    Best wishes.
    Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Construct'O View Post
    I second the mice proof.That has been my thought on the electric drive D7E the rodents would have a field day on the electric harness

Midwest must be the only place that rodents live in heavy equipment
    Nope...NE gets them too!
    -Austin

Ultimate Dozer

They already built the ultimate dozer. Caterpillar D8H 46A built on the cusp just before the K's were released. I have owned and run both. The 46A with the 300 HP spacer plate engine is an amazing machine. What's more, I can work on them because there are no computers or other electronic junk to corrupt the system. Just raw bullet proof horse power. We use them for dozer work as well as pulling scrapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frazier View Post
    We're aware that we have several major equipment manufacturers watching our board, I thought it might be interesting to hear from the members what they feel the ultimate dozer would be.

Let's consider a D5-7 sized machine, they are what I see most often around my area. If you were designing a dozer, what features would you add? It could be as simple as a seating position change or as crazy as some new electronic gizmo that would automatically perform some function. Put all your ideas here, who knows, maybe you'll see some of them incorporated in a future dozer.

After this thread has run its course, we'll move on to another type of machine.

Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Greg!

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    Man... you got that right... I've been trying to get something figured out just
    like you suggested. We've got a JD 750c, and I doubled the thickness on the
    bottom... welded 5/8 plate on both pans... afraid of putting a big ding in one
    from a rock. They're heavier now... but they were too heavy to mess with
    originally. I usually remove them both every year to clean them... pine needles, sticks, grass, or anything burnable; do a lot of fire work and I don't
    want anything in the pans to catch on fire.

The front one isn't too bad... but the back one is horrible to get back on by
    your self... and it's usually "by your self"... Just mention "belly pan", and it seems you become the only living person on earth...

I can put a bar across the c-frame and use the blade to lift the front one up
    (6-way)... but the back one needs to go in at a slight angle and then up.

I think I've got a winch system figured out, and I'll explore the concept the
    next time I tilt the cab.

OCR
    When I bought my D5B, someone had welded the oil-drain access on the front pan closed, so you had to drop the pan just the change the oil. I fixed that with an air chisel and some fabrication, but getting the pan back up was always a pain in the ass running chains underneath, and having it slide this way and that until I welded a hook on each side of the pan at the center of gravity.....now I just stick a come-a-long on each side to the ROPS and up she comes. The rear is still a pain, although I've seen some on the D6's that I've worked around that are hinged at the front, so you can put it back up with a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellboy View Post

I think rotating seats are good, so your whole console moves with you. Cat had this thing with right ways angled seats, for better blade and ripper visibility, so if it rotates, you can watch both sides of the blade and the ripper, hopefully at the touch of a button... Kinda like in a TLB... lets not go there...
    I have often had the same thought. Actually, there is a company called Morgan Forestry Products that builds a line of heavy skidders that have a system like that in the cab.

Here's a link to their site to see what I mean. It shows a picture in the brochures they have online.

http://www.silvatechgroup.com/morganforestry/index.html

Brian
    Throwin' dirt at truckers all day long.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast