Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volvo / IR - MT2000

We ran 2 separate demo's last year with the MT2000, loads of bells and whistles, but that's not always a good thing with a mill. They could never get it running right electronically. Lots of shutting everything down and resetting the computer. Major issues with the sonar sensors on the front tracks that is supposed to keep from running someone over. They kept malfunctioning and stopping the mill when there was a pile of millings or sometimes nothing at all in front of the tracks. Also had issues getting the folding conveyor to unload.

No surprise as to what you described Turtle. We did have problems with the "ODS Sensors" located around the tracks with detecting too soon or going off at any old time. We have since, been calibrating each one and the problem seems to be resolved.
    As far as the conveyors, the discharge, and gathering conveyors have both been updated with better results of discharging all the material possible. Haven't seen any problems with the conveyor unfolding for awhile.
    I will say one thing, Volvo isn't pushing these machines down people's throats yet like IR would've. They are taking time to get the bugs out. I would not want to troubleshoot electrical problems on these, but hydraulically, they aren't too bad.

The problem with all ultrasonic sensing systems is that the return signals from the ultrasonic sensors (transducers) must be carefully modified to accomodate changes in media density. ie the air through which it passes. As such adjusting bales with thermo resistors must be added to accomodate changes in air temperature..which affects density (and as a result measurements of distance), and electronic signal modifications must be made to ignore false signal returns cause by the presence of dust or high humidity in the air. These can be dialed out electronically to a degree, but it becomes a judgement call on how much to ignore when doing this for safety reasons.

A company calle "Safety First" out of Long Island NY developed this technology for school buses back in the early nineties...it was since abandoned.

Better that Mr. Willys at Volvo Shippensburg (chief milling engineer), look into the use of infra red sensors (basically radar), which are now becoming commercially available, and have as a primary benefit, that they do not depend on air as a medium to carry the signal returns with all the consequent deviations.

The ODS sensors seem to work fine on our machine. Volvo just updated our software, so they may have changed some of the parameters.

I'll also post some pictures of our machine when I'm able.

mt-2000

whats the best way to secure a mt-2000 to a lowboy. I havent hauled one yet and was wondering if there is something special I should do

There should be some easy too see chain holds, I dont know a mill that aint got em. Make sure the cutter teeth are as close to the deck of the trailer as possible, raise up the front and rear moldboards and visually check till your good with it and chain the sucker down.

Some people like using the tracks as chain holds too, being its a four track thats a good go if you cant find D rings or holes for chain hooks. Good Luck and send pics, I havent heard of anyone buying those.

Quote Originally Posted by milling_drum View Post
    There should be some easy too see chain holds, I dont know a mill that aint got em. Make sure the cutter teeth are as close to the deck of the trailer as possible, raise up the front and rear moldboards and visually check till your good with it and chain the sucker down.

Some people like using the tracks as chain holds too, being its a four track thats a good go if you cant find D rings or holes for chain hooks. Good Luck and send pics, I havent heard of anyone buying those.
    Thanks, it was all as you said. Finally hauled one of these and it was a piece of cake to tie down. Didnt like that it shuts down a few times when loading or unloading but just pushed the override and was fine.

finally hauled the volvo mt-2000. everything as you said, piece of cake to tie down. Had to push the override button a few times to keep going when loading or unloading. Thanks

If you had to hold the override button down just to load it, I would suggest checking the oil before unloading it. It is probably 1/2 a gallon low if the engine is shutting down on that short of an incline.

Those safetys are a ride out on those things, Mr Ando wouldnt buy one specifically because of that. Tex is right about the incline but i wonder if an engine sensor like that would let the engine run at all.

volvo mt-2000 obstacle feature

Quote Originally Posted by big tex View Post
    If you had to hold the override button down just to load it, I would suggest checking the oil before unloading it. It is probably 1/2 a gallon low if the engine is shutting down on that short of an incline.

Its not shutting down the engine, it stops the machine. Heard that the obstacle feature might come on when loading onto lowboy because of the incline. It does ! It stops the machine before it runs over anything. It really stops the machine quick. No problem, just push the override and it gives another 30 seconds to get onto trailer. If someone is slow just push the override again. Scared me the first time though.

Quote Originally Posted by milling_drum View Post
    IR made some of the better mills way back when, I remember getting our @sses kicked on sq yds by a 7ft cuttin one back in the early 90s.

IR was also sued in and lost for around 17 million back in the 90s as well, something about the machine backed over the groundmans foot. From what I hear now they have some pretty annoying safetys on the track travel control when its up out of the ground.

Then again Wirtgen are annoying as well with that travel control speed cut when the tracks are turned more than 5 degrees either way.

In the cut, I'd like to see an IR/Volvo against RX500/W2000/PR600, with a good operator that knows how it would probably keep up if not outright beat them. IR had a great gear drive system which put max HP to the ground.
    no more rx500 the new rx600 is out

Good to see you Griz, I was talking to charlie the other day, hes got that 8 ft 60C in Queens and says they love it.

Whose got one of those 600's? id love to give one a go for a minute or two. Funny to see some of the old school CMI people completely on the Roadtec wagon lately. If you had told me that would happen back in the 90's I can name a few people that would say NO way but now own more than 5 roadtecs.

Mill drum, The city has a new 600 and AI is demoing one . There's 6 new 900's & 4 700's in the northeast just in the last 60 days,another 5 600's out west and down south,haven't had much time to post. they have been running me like a red headed stepchild.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12