Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitachi UH083 What should I know about them?

Hitachi UH083 What should I know about them?

I have been lurking here for a long time but just never needed to post. Most everything I wondered about has been covered in existing threads until now. There is very little info here or anywhere on the net that I can find about the old Hitachi equipment.

I'm thinking of buying a UH083 for use on the farm taking out fence lines, removing stumps [rarely over 30", normally 10 - 15"] occasional excavation for foundations or basements and cleaning of drainage ditches. The old girl has a 42" bucket with a mechanical thumb, as far as I can tell it's not the LC model and shows less than 3,000 hours!?!? Pins and bushings seem tight, it tracks straight and the swing seems tight. The undercarriage looks pretty good and I can almost believe the 3,000 hours showing [still skeptical though].

I would like to hear from you guys who know what the good, bad and ugly is about this machine.

I think the UH series Hitachi's were what really brought Hitachi to the forefront in excavators back in the day. The numbers were odd though. The UH083 (Japan) was the same as the UH07-7 (USA) and the UH122 is the next size up. In their day Hitachi sold 1 out of every 4 excavators.

One of the best excavators Hitachi ever made. I put 11000 hours on the meter in 4 years with 99% availability. None of today's machines will do that, not even the ZX series.

What type of work were you doing for 11000 hours ? That's 10.5 hours a day Monday through Friday for 4 years ? not including any holidays or maintenance.

Earthworks, drainage demolition, stockpile gravel. That machine never stopped. If a job site got to wet to work then it was shifted to another. A usual work day was 10 hours and 6 on Saturdays but plenty of times it was cranked at 430 am and shut down around 1030 pm for months during summer.
    Last edited by Tones; 01-11-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Best excavator ever built me thinks, I owned a UH081 and a Uh122 . last a life time if looked after. Hino & Iszuzu are two of the best engines built for excavators . I have three Cats now and they don't come close to the ruggedness of the Hitachis. The best on fuel out there. After have both machines for 15 yrs , I do not have a bad word for either one . . Get some qualified person to go and inspect the machine for you , it will be the best money spent .

Thank you all for the input. It's going on auction this weekend and from the reports you all have offered I think I'll make a serious attempt to own it. I went with my heavy equipment mechanic to look it over a week or so ago and he thought, other than the boom seals weeping that it would be a good machine. I really have no idea how far to chase the price on it so if you guys have advise there it would be appreciated. The best I can do is offer a couple of pictures and say it looks good for an old machine.

Name:  h3_large.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  221.5 KB
    Name:  h1_large.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  294.7 KB

Does it have joy sticks (pilot control) or is it lever? FYI , these machines are the same as a John Deere , most parts are interchangeable only difference is the engine . That looks like a fine machine and if everything is in good working condition , you will be very very happy . Although it's an older machine , if you can get it under $15-20k and everything is good . you gets a bargin .

Quote Originally Posted by Cat_man320 View Post
    Does it have joy sticks (pilot control) or is it lever? FYI , these machines are the same as a John Deere , most parts are interchangeable only difference is the engine . That looks like a fine machine and if everything is in good working condition , you will be very very happy . Although it's an older machine , if you can get it under $15-20k and everything is good . you gets a bargin .
    We are on the same page with the price.. That is about what I thought. It is pilot control but as you already know... Deere controls (backward to my Cat). My mechanic says he can reverse the operation of the sticks on the block but is of the opinion I'm probably going to be buying a few hoses. I guess I could operate it with my arms crossed.

That look like a real tidy machine. The leaking ram seals may take up with use but if they don't it's no big drama. Changing the control pattern may be something else.The dipper control lever works 2 spools and under the cab there is a hydraulic power assist ram that makes it all happen. Throughly check out all you need to do be for making changes. It maybe best to leave as is and learn to operate it. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    That look like a real tidy machine. The leaking ram seals may take up with use but if they don't it's no big drama. Changing the control pattern may be something else.The dipper control lever works 2 spools and under the cab there is a hydraulic power assist ram that makes it all happen. Throughly check out all you need to do be for making changes. It maybe best to leave as is and learn to operate it. IMHO
    Thanks Tones. That is good to know. If I can't change it without major surgery I guess I'll have to learn John Deere controls..... Maybe I'll put an air ride seat in it so I don't get beat to death learning!

G'day,

Looking from long distance the bucket bottom looks in good order, not battered to death, and there is no over spray where a machine is made to look pretty and is actually very tired. My machine is Mitsu MX45 grey market out of Japan. All I have needed is a few hoses, etc and the fuel pipe popped off the filter - odd one! It had just over 2000 hrs when I bought it and it now has about 2500. Looks in remarkable order- worth the risk - hope you have some luck on the day. I think you would look a very long time to find that and then not find it!

Go for it, Regards, MX45.

Quote Originally Posted by Planedriver View Post
    Thanks Tones. That is good to know. If I can't change it without major surgery I guess I'll have to learn John Deere controls..... Maybe I'll put an air ride seat in it so I don't get beat to death learning!
    Leave the seat as is ,it'll make you learn faster;-)

Are the joy sticks manual or are they hydraulic controlled ? . if they are hydraulic , all I would do to change the pattern is change the hoses up under the joy sticks . If they are manual , that can get complicated as said above some controls move two spools . I changed my old 3964 International from six levers to two plus travel . Almost put me in "the padded cell" Good luck with it . You checked for a pattern changer I assume, but I don't think they had one . Both my Hitachis were same as cat .

All the controls are linkage to the control banks. The dipper are uses 2 spools, one on each bank so when you pull the lever half way only 1 spool opens. Pull the lever all the way opens the second spool with the help of a power assist ram. Changing the pattern is not quite as simple because of this and also there are no hoses (all pipe work) coming off the control bank from memory. The UH083 was the last of this system. The EX series was the first to use pilot hydraulics in this size Hitachi excavator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast