Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grader plowing snow

I've only ran an M about 50 hours. I struggled making fine steering adjustments. I think the camera made your adjustments look bigger than they were as well.

I think the M completely changes an operator's perspective on controls. Once that transformation is complete operators wouldn't want anything else. During that transition there's divided opinions!!!

Do you ever run chains on your AWD? From the video it looks like your terrain is pretty flat and your roads are straight and uniform.

I don't have AWD, plus I have radical hills and crooked roads. I don't leave the shed without chains when pushing snow.
    Richard

Nice pictures from snow plowing, here a video from a tractor which pulls a old grader:
    https://youtu.be/pMRcawaDQZk
    ****Facebook Group about motor graders****>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/110309485970411/
    database of graders from all world (every day updates!): http://forum.bauforum24.biz/forum/in...?showforum=175
    VERY INTERESTING videos/pictures of grader works (often updates) : http://forum.bauforum24.biz/forum/in...howtopic=64244
    I like graders so much Grader can do more than finish grading, with front blade they can very good rough grading like dozers!!!!

I've got a CAT Model 35 pull type. Not sure I can convince my Son to run it while I pull him with the tractor pushing snow......

Name:  20160924_131700 (1280x720).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  25.2 KB
    Richard

I agree with you camera made it look worse then what it was and yes the M series completely changes your perspective on controls once I got used to the controls really hate to even run a blade with a steering wheel and rack controls anymore, I do have some nasty hills in my area here AWD makes it nice on them and nope never had to put chains on I haven't run chains in the last 8 yrs about only time have to chain up is if we get ice under the snow then just chain back two tires and away ya go. that's a nice looking pull type grader amazing how far our machines have come. I learned how to operate a blade on a 1972 Cat 120 knuckle buster I never imagined operating a grader with out a steering wheel I suer do like my air ride seat and climate control now though.
    Last edited by Cat 140M AWD; 01-18-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    GRADER MAN

The big thing I don't like about the joystick controls is you can't pour a coffee while you're rolling. As soon as you let go of the stick the damn thing heads for the weeds. I sure don't miss the ten turns lock to lock on the steering wheel though. I find that if I'm not paying attention I let the blade creep down on the RH side as I steer. I'm a lot less tired at the end of the day with a joystick machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat 140M AWD View Post
    I agree with you camera made it look worse then what it was and yes the M series completely changes your perspective on controls once I got used to the controls really hate to even run a blade with a steering wheel and rack controls anymore, I do have some nasty hills in my area here AWD makes it nice on them and nope never had to put chains on I haven't run chains in the last 8 yrs about only time have to chain up is if we get ice under the snow then just chain back two tires and away ya go. that's a nice looking pull type grader amazing how far our machines have come. I learned how to operate a blade on a 1972 Cat 120 knuckle buster I never imagined operating a grader with out a steering wheel I suer do like my air ride seat and climate control now though.
    Thanks concerning Model 35. I was very fortunate to get it. Paid $300. An old man that I grew up around had it. Honor for me to get it. Was being scrapped.....

Not having to chain up would be awesome. We've talked about AWD the last two trades but haven't took the plunge yet. Adds about $25K to the price of a machine. No more hours than we run pushing snow it just can't be justified for that alone. I'd like it when cleaning out road ditches or sloping road banks.

I started on a '73 Cat knuckle buster in 1989. Ran it one year. Township board member came to my house one day and asked if I was going to stay as their operator? I said if you'll have me. A week later he called me and asked me to bring the ole Cat to town the next morning with the snow plow on. I showed up in town the next morning to a brand spanking new JD670B sitting in the street!!!!! The hauler was using an old equipment hauler trailer with rear ramps. The Cat didn't have a lick of a brake. The truck driver made one attempt at loading then got out and said that damn thing can stay here as far as I'm concerned!!! I said you want me to load that for you? He said I sure as He** ain't loading it. I put if on the trailer for him and never ran another grader without hydraulics.

That first new JD didn't have AC. I ran it for 6 years, mostly with the doors open...... That's a dirty business when maintaining gravel roads!!!! Since that one we've always had climate control. We are soooooo spoiled now aren't we???
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by BDFT View Post
    The big thing I don't like about the joystick controls is you can't pour a coffee while you're rolling. As soon as you let go of the stick the damn thing heads for the weeds. I sure don't miss the ten turns lock to lock on the steering wheel though. I find that if I'm not paying attention I let the blade creep down on the RH side as I steer. I'm a lot less tired at the end of the day with a joystick machine.
    Hard to talk on the phone too. Or take action photos.

My JD turns easily and can be done with one finger in the steering wheel.

I agree, lot less shoulder/neck stress with the joysticks.

I've ran JD's GP model. It relieves that stress as well. And it's got a steering wheel if you feel the need.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    Here's the type of drifts I have to deal with.

Attachment 163698

Here's my wing.

Attachment 163699
    Do you have anymore pictures of this wing? Never quite seen a set-up like that!

I myself have never cared for the older Deere machines they had such a small cab and I thought there hydraulics were very pore compared to the cat machines but I grew up on all cat equipment so maybe I was just spoiled lol yes it is hard to multitask while operating the M series I went to an in the ear Bluetooth for my phone and love it makes talking on phone way easier while blading here's a picture of my brand new 140M3 AWD got it in June got a new v plow and 14ft Balderson snow wing with hydraulic rear lift ovrsd what year is your 770G? Other company I work for just brought a used 2009 with 6500 hrs on it going to be a nice upgrade from the 1996 770CH I operated before Name:  IMG_2206.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  75.5 KBName:  IMG_2206.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  75.5 KB
    GRADER MAN

The Deere I run is a 2012 model.

The older B and C/CH model deere machines had a small cab. When they introduced the D model they increased cab size and continue that today with the G models.

I chuckled when I read your comment about not liking the small Deere cab. That's my biggest complaint about the Cat M models. There isn't even a place to put your lunch cooler. The cup holder is stupid and poorly located. There are no storage compartments anywhere for things like gloves, dust rags, extra clothing, etc. And when operating in hot, bright sunshine, there's no shade in the cab at anytime except direct noon. I feel like I'm in a Goldfish bowl.

Nice pics of a completely NEW machine!!!!
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaforby4 View Post
    Do you have anymore pictures of this wing? Never quite seen a set-up like that!
    Our wing was originally designed to be used on an older, rigid framed machine. The brace bolted to a bracket on the tandem drive between the tires. Intended use was the moldboard and the wing parallel. I built a bracket the bolts to the moldboard using two cutter edge bolts. The brace telescopes but once I got it figured out I never change it. You can also move the bracket on the moldboard to change the angle of the wing. It's not designed to do extreme winging. Use it with common sense and it works fine. I've never had any problems with it and have never done any damage to the moldboard. But I think that is possible if improperly used. I hate to get weather that requires me to use it. But when that weather comes, I'm glad we have it. Been using it since 1990. My roads are always wide enough for two lane traffic. Other townships in my area will be down to one lane paths thru the bad areas by the end of a hard Winter.

Name:  DSC00374.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  DSC00386.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  DSC00387.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  DSC00393.jpg
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  DSC00394.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  44.2 KB
    Richard

I've been blessed to get six new machines to run. Few years ago we got a new JD D model and shortly afterward the township next to me got a new 140M. I dug thru my pics and found a couple that compare cab size of the current Cat and Deere graders. I've got a gazillion more but these two best compare cab size.

Name:  DSC02224.jpg
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  DSC02225.jpg
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  DSC02216.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  68.6 KB
    Richard

The new Deere Machines do have a nice cab on them and the cab on the M series is still bigger then the old Deere machines and theres plenty of room inside the M series cab for your luch pail and waterjug I put my lunch pail on the right side under the joystick plenty of room there and my waterjug I put on the left side by the handrail there both good machines only thing I really hate about the Deere machine and its really a small thing is that the rear work lights on the back of the machine only come on while in reverse they really need a switch to either have them on or off I work a fair amount in the dark and you cant see crap behind you in the deere machine.
    GRADER MAN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123